Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got interested in classical music about 18 months ago.Im 34 i think it takes people maybe,later in life to appreciate what classical music has to offer.If pubs and clubs had small groups of classical music performers playing around the world,it would become available to the masses again and introduce a younger audience.I have a classical violin, piano and cello video website for members to watch performers from the past 50 years if you like.http://www.classicalviolinvideos.com/

G

·
Music appreciation used to be taught at School, I remember starting with the Triangle and Tambourine at the age of about 7 or 8 and of course the School Choir but I suspect that is obsolete now, you need to hear quality music to realise how bad some of the other stuff is,

· Registered
3,814 Posts
Music appreciation used to be taught at School, I remember starting with the Triangle and Tambourine at the age of about 7 or 8 and of course the School Choir but I suspect that is obsolete now, you need to hear quality music to realise how bad some of the other stuff is,
Yeah... they forced us to play recorder (about 5-6 years ago) at my elementary school. Those sounded pretty terrible, and we didn't know how to tune them or anything... a performance of a given piece (monophonic) sounded more akin to a howling quarter-tone cluster spanning about a minor third than whatever we were supposed to give the impression of playing.

After I recovered from that trauma, by about a year, I got into classical music (at about 13 or so years old). I started viola shortly before. So yeah... here I am at 17.

188 Posts
I am about 18 years old right now, and I have been listening to classical music since I was 5. My father would have me listen to it all the time, and I eventually started to really enjoy it. Young people most of the time don't understand classical music and cannot comprehend it, which is why young people primarily listen to music like pop and rap, because it's easy to comprehend.

· Registered
12 Posts
Interesting question - I've always had the general impression people either "get it" and pick up an interest in classical fairly early in life or they never do - I suspect with every passing year the chances of any given person suddenly catching the wave become smaller.

· Registered
146 Posts
I'm 21 and I started getting into classical music about a year ago. I don't know that it's an age thing so much as a musical passion and curiosity thing. Some have been fortunate to have been brought up on classical music, but for most of us I'd guess it took some exploration and patience to get into classical music.

I don't think there's any credence to the argument that younger listeners can't grasp "complex" music because of intellectual immaturity or what have you. I've always been of the opinion that the value of music is in the sensual and emotional sensation of listening to it, not in some inane academic evaluation of its worth based on perceived complexity or whatever other metrics one might have.

G

·
Interesting question - I've always had the general impression people either "get it" and pick up an interest in classical fairly early in life or they never do - I suspect with every passing year the chances of any given person suddenly catching the wave become smaller.
I like your user name and Avatar, :) I know several people that came to Classical at a later stage in their evolution in their late 50s and one case the man was 60, I don't know what that proves but life is full of surprises

· Registered
95 Posts
. I've always been of the opinion that the value of music is in the sensual and emotional sensation of listening to it, not in some inane academic evaluation of its worth based on perceived complexity or whatever other metrics one might have.
Nothing of the sort. Young people of course can not decipher complex music, unless they are taught so or start mastering their ears by themselves at early age. Anyone can enjoy a simple symphony but not everyone can follow rapidly one instrument at a time, especially when every single instrument plays at a fast and complicated speed, not to mention that sometimes every instrument might play different melodies, tempos, and techniques from each other. Now , with that in mind, think about trying to enjoy a 10 instrument song as a kid. Nothing to do with academics, its just getting the time to exercise your ear starting with something simple to something complex, that's all.

· Registered
146 Posts
Nothing of the sort. Young people of course can not decipher complex music, unless they are taught so or start mastering their ears by themselves at early age. Anyone can enjoy a simple symphony but not everyone can follow rapidly one instrument at a time, especially when every single instrument plays at a fast and complicated speed, not to mention that sometimes every instrument might play different melodies, tempos, and techniques from each other. Now , with that in mind, think about trying to enjoy a 10 instrument song as a kid. Nothing to do with academics, its just getting the time to exercise your ear starting with something simple to something complex, that's all.
No one follows one instrument at a time when listening to a symphony. Indeed, it would be missing the whole point. The great part about symphonies is listening to the glorious interplay between instruments. I don't see any reason why older people would be any more able to enjoy a 10-instrument song than younger people.

· Registered
95 Posts
1) Simple symphonies are not complex. No matter how many instruments a song has, they tend to follow the same tempo, same melody, same technique, etc.. with the exception of the one or two lead instruments.

2) That's easy for people of any age to understand, NOW, I'm not saying enjoy, since one can understand rap music, decipher it, follow it never getting lost, etc.. but not enjoy it. Do you see where I'm standing now?

3) People who have been training their ears to complicated music tend to enjoy it more than any person who has never trained their ears. You can pick that up at any age whatsoever, but if early the better.

4) The reason why many kids don't follow classical might be because they are not willing to master their ear or are just don't know that you have to do that in order to at least enjoy it. Other reason is because kids want something more exciting that makes them jump or talks to them (The power Rangers songs, Barney, Pokemon with its "You gotta catch them all", etc..). Remember that kids are mostly hyper, with the exception of some kids who prefer something calm. It is not till later where they outgrow simplicity and look for something a lil bit more complex.

But hey nothing in here is written on stone.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.