Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,812 Posts
Either I am a rarity, as someone who, as a kid, liked CM enough for it to become an interest as an adult (despite being raised in a pop mad house)...in which case, there will only ever be a minimal number of children who will enjoy it, so chill.

Or, I'm not a rarity, and there are thousands of children out there who will become the CM loving adults of tomorrow anyway. In which case, chill.:cool:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Several people have now referred to the idea that children who like CM are 'outliers'. I made the simple point that if that is the case, it'll most likely be because CM is not attractive enough to the overwhelming majority, and no amount of "education" (or other strategy) will make any difference. Just because I love something enough to want to tell other people about it and get them to like it, doesn't mean other people will be allured by its oh-so-obvious charms.

The question that no one seems to want to address (except in contemptuous terms about children not getting out enough, being brainwashed by pop and spending too much time on devices) is why not? What is it about CM itself that means it's not attractive enough to 95% of the general population?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
As soon as this dude typed "Civil rights, personal freedom and..." Art Rock's ears perked up and he'll be here to provide a gentle reminder that politics in any way, shape, or form are to be avoided in their entirety within this thread.

So... everyone might want to cool it lest Art's reminder be less than gentle.
As soon as Caroline typed "cancel culture", I reached for my Browning.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yes, if the hypothesis that they are in some ways a few decades "behind", similar to Europe (with US rock'n roll) in the 60s is correct, they might follow a similar trajectory. However, I am not sure if similar factors for a counterculture movement like in late 60s/70s Europe exist in East Asia... so it might also be quite different.
In the case of S.Korea, they're not behind at all. They might have been, but they're now exporting K-Pop. See BTS...Love Yourself: Tear

On May 27, 2018, the album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, earning 135,000 album-equivalent units and becoming BTS' highest-charting album in a Western market at the time, as well as the first Korean album to top the US albums chart and the highest-charting album by an Asian act.[

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I actually think that most people on TC are fine with modernism, or at least the experience of modern life. You'd have to go back to living before the industrial revolution to avoid any aspect of it. I think that what lies at the heart of many debates here is disagreement about the legacy, or the consequences, of modernism rather than modernism itself.
Well I'm certainly fine with "Modernism" and I'm not fine with the political meal being made out of it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Not to be a snob or a Debbie downer, but I believe that article is including essentially anything that's instrumental as classical. Virtually every artist listed would be described as "crossover", "contemporary instrumental", "electronic", "film", etc.. I don't think any of the listed artists would be remotely popular amongst the TC membership.
I'm not sure that's true, but if it is, so what? The point of the article is to outline how young people are accessing, or could access classical music via a broad definition of the term which doesn't exclude the traditional canon, but exemplifies a wider range of musics.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
They are of course free to listen to the music they wish to, but if the article was using a different definition of classical music than what the discussion in the thread was about, then this is surely an important thing to point out.
Well rather obviously, you don't make "classical music" more appealing to young people by making the term so broad as to include the pop they already find appealing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts