Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
My grandparents have always loved cm but my parents haven’t really picked it up. When I was about 7 my only cm listening experience was my grandparents putting on Haydn symphony 83 in the car and me and my little sister really liked it but I didn’t actually delve any further while I did listen to pop and rap for a very long time after that. I think it began when I joined an orchestra when I was about 10 and I heard some popular tunes and I really liked the music but it took me about 7 years to actually really get interested and read about it go to concerts and listen to more than single movements of popular works

·
Registered
442 Posts
TwosetViolin is a hugely successful youtube channel with nearly 4 million subscribers run by two young Australian-Taiwanese classical violinists, Brett Yang and Eddy Chen, that mostly targets the 12 to 21 demographic but is popular with a general audience, including many who came to it with no prior interest in classical music. Hilary Hahn, Ray Chen and other classical stars are frequent guests (Chen is also originally from Australia). They have made two successful live world tours and will soon embark on a third, long delayed by the pandemic. They have a large fan base in Europe and the Americas as well as, of course, Asia and Australia.

I mention them here because they have all but singlehandedly demolished the myth that classical music cannot be sold to young people, repeated by some in this thread. Though video games and other current youth pop culture phenomena are prevailing themes in their videos, they go to great pains to be respectful of the western classical music tradition that always is their main topic, and mercilessly satirize any pop culture examples of disrespect, dismissing them with one of their running comments: "Sacrilegious!" Great, and funny, stuff.
Thank you for this post, I urge everyone on this platform to watch their videos. They are entertaining whilst being educational. They inspire me to love cm even more and practice more and made me think about playing in an orchestra as a career choice, not just for entertainment

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think the best you can do is expose young kids to classical pieces that are short and easy to listen to (for example beautiful or catchy melodies). If 95% of adults don’t have the patience for cm an eight year old definitely won’t have it either for a symphony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts