Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
5,110 Posts
The American Guild of Organists and its chapters are doing what we can to introduce young people to the organ. Our local chapter has an annual event called Pedal, Pipes & Pizza, where we invite any student to attend and get a glimpse of what the organ is all about, also a chance to play the instrument and receive some one on one instruction with one of the areas leading professional organists.

Those events usually take 2 to 3 hours depending on how many students have signed up to attend.

Other chapters across the US have similar events. AGO national has POE - Pipe Organ Encounter events, too.

The national AGO organization is offering one year free membership to the guild for any youth age 30 and under. That offer is good through June 30, 2022. Our local chapter is doing that one better and includes anyone of any age to receive one year free membership as well.

The unfortunate thing is that as we organists retire, there are fewer people willing or able to fill vacancies ... I leapt at the chance when I was 13, loved it, and have continued to ply at this professions for 61+ years. Still love doing this now as I did when I was 13.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts