Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently becoming real fan of this elephant.

I never was into classical song before. I know Schubert, but never cared about his lied in general, heard few standards and that's it.

Wolf attracted me much more. Not from the first time but yet. I even got sonets and Roman Elegies by Goethe from library because of him.

I had much problem with getting his songs, but now I have DG set (Fischer-Dieskau/Barenboim) and live recording of Goethe songs with same singer and Richter at piano.

BE AWARE MORTALZ

· Registered
12,288 Posts
I've got some of his Moricke songs, Spanish songbook & the Italian Serenade. The songs have this other-worldly quality, much less "grounded" than other lieder I've heard. There's alot of darkness there, too (I know he had a troubled life). The Serenade, in contrast, is quite light and airy.

I don't know that much about him, but his songs sound innovative and more "modern" when compared with the likes of R. Strauss' songs of the similar period. I think Wolf deserves a bit more attention than he currently gets...

· Registered
543 Posts
Along with Schubert, Wolf is THE lieder guy. One of his tricks is to catch some motif to correspond with something going on in the poem; that, and his wonderful intros and postludes.

Fischer-Dieskau is of course great with these, as is Liz Schwarzkopf (both with the great Gerald Moore).

Wolf contracted syphilis (as did Schubert, Chabrier, Delius, and possibly Beethoven [!]).

Syphilis effects different people in different ways: some it kills quickly; others it drives mad; others it troubles not so very much.
Poor Wolf went mad and was institutionalized after standing outside the Vienna Court Opera shouting that he had been appointed its artistic director rather than Mahler.

While in the asylum he wrote no more music, but constantly played the second movement to Beethoven's e-minor Piano Sonata (Op. 90) over and over again...

· Registered
4,345 Posts
I heard Hugo Wolf versions of Michaelangelo poems in London before Christmas and it's absolutely haunted me since then. Seemed to have a very intense and fragmented edge to things, if that makes sense. Fascinating name, fascinating character, immense music!

G

·
I heard Hugo Wolf versions of Michaelangelo poems in London before Christmas and it's absolutely haunted me since then. Seemed to have a very intense and fragmented edge to things, if that makes sense. Fascinating name, fascinating character, immense music!
Is Wolf's 'bach' worse than his bite? Sorry!

But seriously, have you heard the tenor Ian Bostridge who sings Hugo Wolf? He's had a mixed critical reception.

· Registered
4,345 Posts
Is Wolf's 'bach' worse than his bite? Sorry!

But seriously, have you heard the tenor Ian Bostridge who sings Hugo Wolf? He's had a mixed critical reception.
Hey CA!

I haven't. I heard them in the National Gallery in London before Christmas, and I now have a cd of Lieder, including some Spanish ones, it seems, featuring Elizabeth Scharwzkopf and Gerald Moore, and the Goethe poems sung by Wolfgang Holzman... :tiphat:

· Registered
8,237 Posts
Maybe not so many fans of art songs?

And yet they feel fully confident in making a list of the greatest art songs/art song cycles... to aid those less experienced. :rolleyes:

· Registered
3,577 Posts
Maybe not so many fans of art songs?

And yet they feel fully confident in making a list of the greatest art songs/art song cycles... to aid those less experienced. :rolleyes:
Maybe this is new to you, but a question mark normally signifies that the initiating statement expounds a question.
:tiphat:

Or wait... was that statement towards me or towards the elusive fans? I'd like to be sure before I commit to my smart-*** remark. :)

· Registered
42,890 Posts

Hugo Philipp Jacob Wolf (13 March 1860 - 22 February 1903) was an Austrian composer of Slovene origin, particularly noted for his art songs, or Lieder. He brought to this form a concentrated expressive intensity which was unique in late Romantic music, somewhat related to that of the Second Viennese School .

· Registered
334 Posts
There was an appreciative thread on Wolf a while back:

Do you like Hugo Wolf?

As to the query about recordings of Wolf's Goethe Lieder, I love Fischer-Dieskau and the early Schwarzkopf (when her voice was young and fresh) best.

I have a CD of Schwarzkopf's 1958 Salzburg Festival recital of Wolf Lieder - EMI classics CDH 7 74905 2.
It includes 8 Goethe Lieder. Also a CD which includes a 1962 Concertgebouw Concert and a 1957 recital for Netherlands Radio. Verona 27021. There is always YouTube, where you can here her thrilling

"Kennst du das Land"

and

"Anakreons Grab".

There are numbers Goethe Lieder by the young Fisher-Dieskau on EMI Classics 7 CD Hugo Wolf collection. Here's a sample:

"Der Rattenfanger"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.