Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have made it pretty clear over the years here on TC, that I am not at all interested in classical music from any earlier that the early 20th century.

But I would not say that music from those eras (or any other pre-20th century era), is 'lame'. I would only say they do not interest me.

Music from earlier than the 20th century, is certainly not lame. I just personally do not like it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have made it pretty clear over the years here on TC, that I am not at all interested in classical music from any earlier that the early 20th century.

But I would not say that music from those eras (or any other pre-20th century era), is 'lame'. I would only say they do not interest me.

Music from earlier than the 20th century, is certainly not lame. I just personally do not like it.
That’s actually crazy. I think at least 80% of classical canon is from pre-20th century. But I’m sure you tried many times but if you don’t like it you don’t like it

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
'Lame' does indeed seem a curious word. Can you really have listened to enough varied pieces from these two vast types of classical music to make this a just conclusion about the music, rather than your own powers of concentration?

But in any case, that's fine. You're allowed not to like any music that doesn't float your boat.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I just find it really unartistic. It doesn't communicate deep thoughts or emotions for the most part.
While I like the answer of "leave it alone if it doesn't interest you," this does provoke the question of how you think music communicates deep thoughts and emotions to begin with. I find all kinds of music (including Classical and Baroque music) PROVOKES in me deep thoughts and emotions, but this is is distinct from saying the music expresses such things. It also then becomes a question that if it can (and it obviously does) provoke deep thoughts/emotions in some why it doesn't for you. Maybe it's because you don't "understand the language" (so to speak)? Just things to ponder.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Remarks like the topic title appear from time to time in discussions, certainly when someone explains his/her opinion in a debate by mentioning personal preferences and non-preferences ;) ... and, without a doubt, everyone's personal taste is worthwhile imho. At least for one's self.

I do wonder though: what kind of thread or 'discussion' is to be expected from a topic like this?

Or is it actually meant as "I find music from Era X mostly lame and boring, please help me or give some advice to find exceptions to this 'rule'." ?

If so, then try Mozart (here he is again) in his Piano Concertos KV 466, 491 and 595.
And his Maurerische Trauermusik KV 477.
If you do not find vocal music lame, then try his C minor Mass KV 427 and his Requiem (in whatever completion) KV 626.

And/or try Bach's entire oeuvre. 😛
Starting with BWV 542, the Fantasia & Fugue in G minor for organ, preferably played on a good ole baroque/classical (restored/reconstructed) organ.
It's deep and it's dazzling.
His B minor Mass BWV 232 is a miracle, too.
(Just for starters, I could mention 1080 compositions of course.)

But if the topic (title) is just meant to make a statement, then I will say: how very interesting. Just proceed enjoying the stuff you don't find lame. (It always works for me.)

·
Registered
758 Posts
(Just to make myself clear: I LOVE music from the Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque and the 'Classical' period... no life without Von Bingen, Lassus, Desprez, Monteverdi, Purcell, Buxtehude, Bach and Wolfie here!)

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It communicates thoughts and emotions, unlike a lot of pop, just not interesting ones most of the time.
Let me take this back. All art communicates ideas and emotions, not all of them are unique and individualistic. That's what I prefer and call Genius. You can do something that's never been done before, and still have it be something bland.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I think almost half of my collection is of music composed between 1708 and 1828, which is leaving out 100 years of baroque (of which I would have another two rows of shelving but not as much as of the high baroque until the deaths of Beethoven and Schubert). So I don't find it lame ;)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Captainnumber36, if you think that music from baroque and classical eras are lame for the most part, that's perfectly fine for me.

At first, I remember that this music was an authentic mirror of its time in its time. Listening to it now has some museum aspect. After Tristan and Sacre du printemps, we cannot listen to it as the men for whom it was written. So if you think that is doesn't touch you - perfect.

At second, I would always recommend listening the music that pleases. Life is short. It is ok to look left and right from time to time, but if later music is enriching you more, go ahead. Nuff said.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Could not resist this (I do hope it's still allowed to post a clip of a Russian pianist): thanks to the fact that Franz Liszt did not consider much of the 18th century's music lame at all, people who do not appreciate the organ can still listen to Bach's BWV 542 on a Grand Piano.

We are all gonna help fellow member Captainnumber36 to make this a lengthy thread! ;)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That’s actually crazy. I think at least 80% of classical canon is from pre-20th century. But I’m sure you tried many times but if you don’t like it you don’t like it
I have tried quite a few times, and continue to try. I actually have a fairly sizable collection of Classical era recordings that I return to from time to time, to see if they will click for me.

While I am sure you are correct with your estimation of over 80% of classical coming from pre-20th century eras, I have absolutely no problems finding new composers and pieces to listen to. If anything, keeping up with all the great music from the last 80 or so years, is hard enough. I make new discoveries on a weekly basis.

Even keeping up with still living composers keeps me busy, and discovering new composers all the time.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I would bet the author of this thread is a young person, probably 35 years of age or less. Almost everyone starts out with high octane romantic music, then tires of it after a decade or so and begins to discover the world of classical music goes way beyond exaggerated noises, volcanic speeds, and heightened romantic ideas.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could not resist this (I do hope it's still allowed to post a clip of a Russian pianist): thanks to the fact that Franz Liszt did not consider much of the 18th century's music lame at all, people who do not appreciate the organ can still listen to Bach's BWV 542 on a Grand Piano.

We are all gonna help fellow member Captainnumber36 to make this a lengthy thread! ;)
This was just ok. I do enjoy Trifonov's playing though.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts