Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often on a thread, I will encounter a poster who has ONLY posted the following:

just a bunch of dots, and that's it. I know it must stand for something, but I have never been the one on the latest (or even not so latest) technical lingo or symbolism. Thank you in advance.

V

·
Registered
475 Posts
Usually found when a member wishes to retract a post and cannot delete it, either because the forum software doesn’t allow posts to be deleted or because the member hasn’t figured out how to delete posts. In either case, the member edits the post and replaces the text with symbols.

There might be other reasons but, in my experience, that’s the main one.

By the way, moderators can read the history so these edits can’t be used to attempt to cover up rule-breaking. (Just saying)

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
It means "Post Deleted."

The forum won't let you actually delete a post and requires at least 15 characters to save any post or edits to a post. The 15 or so periods is the quickest way to delete post content and save. Some have put the 15 or so periods in then changed color of the typeface to white so that the post is entirely blank.

So I made the next post with white typeface. When you see a blank post drag the cursor over it as if you were going to highlight a block of text and what is hidden will show. Alternately, if you click QUOTE you will see the hidden text in the reply window that opens up.

Reactions: Varick

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
We can write anything we want if we make the typeface white and nobody will see it unless the either drag the cursor over it while holding the button or click QUOTE which will show the text.

Reactions: Varick

·
Super Moderator
30,641 Posts
Usually the mods will delete these "....." posts when we come across them. Please do not report them, but if there are a lot in a particular thread, you can PM one of us with the link and we'll nix them.

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
Usually found when a member wishes to retract a post and cannot delete it, either because the forum software doesn't allow posts to be deleted or because the member hasn't figured out how to delete posts.
I was not aware that a member could delete his own posts, unless you mean by PM-ing a moderator.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was not aware that a member could delete his own posts, unless you mean by PM-ing a moderator.
The ability is dependent on the forum. Some allow members to delete their posts. Others do not. In all cases that I'm aware of where post deletion is allowed, members' deletions are soft deletes, meaning the post is flagged as invisible to members, but not moderators.

One very good reason for disallowing post deletion by members is that if the lead post is deleted, the rest of the thread goes with it. Anyway, it's a moot point here since this forum does not allow deletion.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
We can write anything we want if we make the typeface white and nobody will see it unless the either drag the cursor over it while holding the button or click QUOTE which will show the text.
cool

A series of dots are also used to comply with the 15 character requirement if you post is too short. Like me saying just "cool."

Or sometimes when you post a pic from your computer and don't need text but still need to comply with the 15 character rule.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
Thanks! Now I know I can include blank spaces in the 15 character requirement so long as they are bracketed by something other than blanks, such as a period at either end, which will then display as two periods with no extra spaces. Like this (next post): .

·
Registered
887 Posts
But the post background is not, in fact, white. And we can still see white text without highlighting it. If you colour your text #fafafa, however … Well, that's another story!

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
But the post background is not, in fact, white. And we can still see white text without highlighting it. If you colour your text #fafafa, however … Well, that's another story!
Oh, of course there are a few non-conformists who do not have a white background--guess my "invisible ink" is a failure. :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why can't members have the option to delete a post?
Sometimes a member has messed up a post and wishes to change it, but can't.

:angel:

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Why can't members have the option to delete a post?
Sometimes a member has messed up a post and wishes to change it, but can't.

:angel:
We have had instances where someone posted a rather libelous comment, which others reacted to in their replies and/or reported the post to us.

In the meantime, before we could take any action, the original poster deleted their post, then claimed "I've never stated that in my life", which opened up another heated debate in which we had to intervene. Sadly, a few rotten apples cores spoil it for the rest of us.

Member can, however, edit their post for up to 12 hours. After that, please ask a staff member to make the edits that are necessary. If the post is in a now closed thread, no edits are possible.

The only staff members that can totally delete a post/thread, that is wipe it from the server(s) are Frederik and myself. All other staff deletes are what we call a soft-delete, meaning it still resides on the server, but not visible to regular members.

In all my years on TC (14 so far) I've only had to hard-delete a post and that was because of a court order. And no, I can't share any other details on that particular hard deleted posting.

Make sure, when reporting a post that needs editing, that you give us the URL of that post ... that will save us time in searching for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.