Classical Music Forum banner
7601 - 7620 of 7666 Posts

· Registered
1,710 Posts
Musical Chess Ensemble Game!

Name an instrument for each chess piece and create your own Chess Ensemble! Then lets play!

With every move you need to create a little countermelody with the instrument/piece of your choice starting and ending with the position letter/note, in accordance with the move you make. Remember to comment/counter the melody of your opponent!

The white uses naturals (a-h, German notation) and the black uses flats and sharps of their choice (Ab-Bb)!

All the time two notes of your choice based on the positions on the board will create the harmony. One change in the harmony needs to take place at every turn.

Let’s play Musical Chess Ensemble Game!!!

· Registered
200 Posts
Chess Ensemble Game!

Name an instrument for each chess piece and create your own Chess Ensemble! Then lets play!

With every move you need to create a little countermelody with the instrument/piece of your choice starting and ending with the position letter/note, in accordance with the move you make. Remember to comment/counter the melody of your opponent!

The white uses naturals (a-h, German notation) and the black uses flats and sharps of their choice (Ab-Bb)!

All the time two notes of your choice based on the positions on the board will create the harmony. One change in the harmony needs to take place at every turn.

Let’s play Musical Ensemble Chess!!!
I resign.

· Registered
7,154 Posts
Way back in the 1970s I was in a band. We only played original compositions, many of which were decent, even by today's standards.

On one song we wrote we wrote the lyrics by trading off writing a line. I wrote a line, then Earl wrote a line. And back and forth we went.

Then we actually put chords on small pieces of paper and pulled them out of a hat to write the chord progression.

We drew four chords, then repeated them, and that was our chorus.

We drew two more, and repeated them twice, then pulled two more, and that was our verse.

We added a riffy intro in our minor key, and we were done.

· Registered
6,056 Posts
Way back in the 1970s I was in a band. We only played original compositions, many of which were decent, even by today's standards.

On one song we wrote we wrote the lyrics by trading off writing a line. I wrote a line, then Earl wrote a line. And back and forth we went.

Then we actually put chords on small pieces of paper and pulled them out of a hat to write the chord progression.

We drew four chords, then repeated them, and that was our chorus.

We drew two more, and repeated them twice, then pulled two more, and that was our verse.

We added a riffy intro in our minor key, and we were done.
When you finished, was it a memorable song?

· Registered
6,056 Posts
We need a very complicated music software, so we can play the Musical Chess Ensemble game...wait...all my chess pieces get the sound of a flock of geese.
I get it. Because geese are resigning birds! (they accept the ancient dictum that some things undesirable cannot be avoided)

No wait, that's probably not what you mean..

It is true that geese kill more humans than sharks every year.
...But to be fair, it’s really hard for geese to kill sharks.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
We need a very complicated music software, so we can play the Musical Chess Ensemble game...wait...all my chess pieces get the sound of a flock of geese.
My ensemble would be:

The pawns: 3 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos and 1 double bass
The Rooks: 1 Horn and 1 Trumpet
The Knights: 1 Clarinet and 1 Oboe
The Bishops: 1 Bassoon and 1 Flute
The Queen: Bass Clarinet
The King: Contrabassoon

:D

· Registered
7,154 Posts
We are the eggmen. It doesn't mean anything, kiddies. Just nonsense words. Very sly I think.
Many of the lyrics for I Am The Walrus did have significance. But Lennon was an excellent wordsmith, often connecting words that hadn't ever met before.

The Walrus was a shout-out to The Walrus and the Carpenter from Alice In Wonderland (as were the Eggman/Eggmen sort of a reference to either Humpty Dumpty or Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, or maybe both).

Some of the lyrics referenced earlier Beatles songs (like Lucy in the Sky). Lennon apparently plucked the nonsense line “Goo Goo Ga Joob” from Finnegan’s Wake by James Joyce.

But mostly I think Lennon wanted to prank all those folks that were attempting to analyze Beatles lyrics.

· Registered
6,056 Posts
Many of the lyrics for I Am The Walrus did have significance. But Lennon was an excellent wordsmith, often connecting words that hadn't ever met before.

The Walrus was a shout-out to The Walrus and the Carpenter from Alice In Wonderland (as were the Eggman/Eggmen sort of a reference to either Humpty Dumpty or Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, or maybe both).

Some of the lyrics referenced earlier Beatles songs (like Lucy in the Sky). Lennon apparently plucked the nonsense line “Goo Goo Ga Joob” from Finnegan’s Wake by James Joyce.

But mostly I think Lennon wanted to prank all those folks that were attempting to analyze Beatles lyrics.
The fan magazine at the time quickly said, it's all nonsense words fit together to rhyme. Great fun!

Then Lennon said, it's nonsense.

And then after Lennon said that, we thought there must be some large picture meaning in it. lol That's the conspiratorial side of immature brains. But what fun!
Even now I think, this line or that in the song connects to something in the bios and stories of the Beatles, or to some universal revelation about our reality. Time well spent (for an adolescent fan).

John and Paul and their whole team wanted fans to obsess about meanings, sometimes, not all the time, not about everything. Did they participate in some of the 'coincidences' that fueled obsessions? I don't know. Maybe it was people around them placing 'clues'.

· Registered
7,245 Posts
My ensemble would be:

The pawns: 3 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos and 1 double bass
The Rooks: 1 Horn and 1 Trumpet
The Knights: 1 Clarinet and 1 Oboe
The Bishops: 1 Bassoon and 1 Flute
The Queen: Bass Clarinet
The King: Contrabassoon

:D
Re: Bass Clarinet and Contrabassoon: We are not amused -- really, such cheek!:mad: You are aware that the King and Queen should be brass instruments, as befits royalty. Or, at the very least they should be two timpani, one for the dominant and one for the tonic ...

· Registered
1,710 Posts
Re: Bass Clarinet and Contrabassoon: We are not amused -- really, such cheek!:mad: You are aware that the King and Queen should be brass instruments, as befits royalty. Or, at the very least they should be two timpani, one for the dominant and one for the tonic ...
Your choice for the King and the Queen is so BORING that it didn’t cross even MY boring mind! Hilarious and stupid! :)

· Registered
1,071 Posts
The pipe organ is the "king of all instruments" so it should be the king. I vote for the contrabass saxophone to be queen. Let the pawns be kazoos (preferably played by youngsters under the age of ten). Then we can have the bishops be a bass drum and triangle, and the knights and rooks can be a string quartet. (y)

· Registered
1,710 Posts
The pipe organ is the "king of all instruments" so it should be the king. I vote for the contrabass saxophone to be queen. Let the pawns be kazoos (preferably played by youngsters under the age of ten). Then we can have the bishops be a bass drum and triangle, and the knights and rooks can be a string quartet. (y)
I have weird people here as fellow forumists! 😉

7601 - 7620 of 7666 Posts