Classical Music Forum banner
7,941 - 7,960 of 9,543 Posts
If the Leipzig council had granted a training on time management to Bach, would he have become as prolific as Telemann?
Those guys wrote some well-crafted pieces every week. What kind of a life would that be? You start every composition with the same bucket of ideas from your experience and they usually turn out to be special, with a few hours work. It was a different time. Were they working for future listeners? Once a work was codified onto paper it could last a long time (longer than they even imagined). Was that in their minds, or just making a living?

Those guys wrote some well-crafted pieces every week. What kind of a life would that be? You start every composition with the same bucket of ideas from your experience and they usually turn out to be special, with a few hours work. It was a different time. Were they working for future listeners? Once a work was codified onto paper it could last a long time (longer than they even imagined). Was that in their minds, or just making a living?
Which one of your statements describes your contribution to "Ideas for Stupid Threads" best? ;)

Challenging, indeed! It is a challenge to step outside of our comfort zones, and stop ranking homogeneous items and start ranking heterogeneous items instead! Though, in the end -- and to answer your question -- it is probably pointless. 😕
My question was pointless too. But "ranking heterogeneous items" may be worth investigating. I shall ponder it in a mindful trance ...

I think "mindful trance" is something else, like "hypnotic electronic music". So-called "HEM!" with a Hebrew H.
HEM! sounds about right. As for counting symphonies at half speed, my half-witted brain is slowly getting around to accepting the idea ...
Speaking of counting, has anyone noticed that there will soon be 8,000 posts on Ideas for Stupid Threads? I don't know about you but ...

7,941 - 7,960 of 9,543 Posts