Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got an idea. Just for fun...

Share examples of ways people (composers, musicians, artists and the like) have drawn from (or in some cases just plain ripped off) other influential composers, musicians, artists over the years.

Reference the original first, by using written and/or visual examples (i.e. photos, YouTube, etc..). Then follow it with the imitation or influenced version second. Heck, maybe even put a fun caption of your own along side of it. Be creative!

Example:

Which music would you choose for your temple of worship?...

World Font Adaptation Poster Art

Borodin?

Rectangle Font Art Tints and shades Facade

Judas Priest?

Hmmmmm...

OR:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery:

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Automotive tire Music

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musician Poster Music artist

This board is full of intelligent, creative people... Come on, let's have some fun!
BRING IT

· Registered
8,030 Posts
Here's one I posted some time ago. Unfortunately I didn't anticipate the rules, so the imitator comes first, but you get the idea.

Not identical of course, but quite similar. And why not, if Shosty freely quotes Rossini and others too?

G

·
Here's one I posted some time ago. Unfortunately I didn't anticipate the rules, so the imitator comes first, but you get the idea.

Not identical of course, but quite similar. And why not, if Shosty freely quotes Rossini and others too?
And himself! Somehow I had never listened to the 2nd Piano Trio until last week... but as a fan of the 8th Quartet...well... you can imagine.

· Registered
1,471 Posts
Since the distinction between emulation, imitation, and coincidence can sometimes get a bit murky, especially in the classical era where composers are working within a narrower harmonic vocabulary, I thought it'd be more interesting to post an example of a blatant rip-off(as opposed to arguing that one work is inspired by another simply because one theme is based on the same triad or scale). I actually posted the original second(thought it was more effective that way):

compared to...

G

·
I'm at 2'00" and don't have 20 more to spare. When does the homage part begin?
Patience is a virtue. I was hoping for something around the 4'33" mark, but no, at around 2'30" there does clearly emerge a passage that the composer intended as homage to Mendelssohn's Ein Sommernachtstraum Op 61.

· Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Good one, CBD! Ever noticed how much the Storm Troopers Theme sounds like Holt's The Planets, Op. 32: I. Mars, the Bringer of War?

Oops! Forgot to reply with quote. :eek:

Correction: It is Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights where I hear likeness to The Imperial March (which I incorrectly referred to as the Storm Trooper Theme), not so much Holst's Mars. It is the score during the lead up to the trench run in Star Wars where Op. 32: I. Mars, the Bringer of War's influence can be heard the most. That, and the Tantive IV scene.

· Registered
21,849 Posts
Sibelius - Night Ride and Sunrise

Peter Maxwell Davies - Orkney Wedding with Sunrise
Thanks, Becca. This is Maxwell Davies on holiday: great tunes (are they traditional or original?), lively rhythms, twinkle-eyed humor - and that bagpipe, barbaric ecstasy! After a grim session of Schoenberg string quartets there's nothing lovelier than a trip back to music's roots in song and dance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.