Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for the new forum software coming to talkclassical.com soon, please take a moment to review your password. You should also verify that the email address associated with your account is correct.

If your password is less than 8 characters, please change it now.

If you need assistance, please reach out to us.

·
Registered
15,444 Posts
For anyone who isn't familiar, click on forum actions then edit profile near the top of the page.

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
When's the go-live date for the new software?

·
Registered
412 Posts
When's the go-live date for the new software?
On April 13th. You still have 5 days to say goodbye to old TC. See this:

I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it goes live you will see an announcement thread created here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.

• You will see my reply to the thread introducing myself.
  • I will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.
What should you be doing now before this happens?

• Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
When Will This All Happen?

talkclassical.com is currently scheduled for April 13, 2022. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, during the transition, I will be here with you multiple times a day, answering questions and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with me while we work through the changes. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
What? I can't have a single digit for my password anymore? :confused:

My password was: 1

:lol:

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
If your password is less than 8 characters, please change it now.
There is also a new format for passwords -

X - Must be at least 10 characters
X - Must contain lower-case characters
X - Must contain upper-case characters
X - Must contain numbers
X - Must contain symbols

You can see these requirements when you click on "Settings" at the top - then, on the left side, under "My Settings - My Account" - Click on "Edit Email and Password" - and you'll see the above with a red X next to each.

Examples of acceptable passwords - 25-ChristmasDay or 1882-IgorStravinsky *

* That last one is mine - Don't use it - Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Tried updating yesterday via phone and made a right pig's a*** of it. Just tried on the laptop and all looks OK now.

·
Registered
15,444 Posts
So which is it? 8 or 10 characters? The OP says 8.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
Font Slope Material property Screenshot Number

NOTE: Click on image to enlarge

If you have a 12 character password with Numbers, Upper and lower case letters, and symbols it will take approximately 34,000 years for a computer to crack using brute force.

12 characters - Numbers only - 12 seconds

12 characters - lowercase letters only - 3 weeks

12 characters - Upper and lower case letters - 300 years

12 characters - Numbers, Upper and lower case letters - 2,000 years

12 characters - Numbers, Upper and lower case letters, and symbols - 34,000 years.

These numbers are probably only taking into account the pure cracking time, with no consideration to real world constraints such as the fact that usually when gaining access to a system there are HTML requests on each attempt, which take time.

My password - 1882-IgorStravinsky - has 19 characters - which means that I'm safe pretty much until the end of eternity... or "forever"... whichever comes first.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Also remember that on TC you have 5 goes before you get a 15 minute timeout. I can't remember if there is a lockout after too many failed attempts which would require you to contact the system for a password reset link.

·
Registered
472 Posts
While it's ill advised to use the same password for multiple sites, I do so for inconsequential sites. Where it's no big deal if it gets hacked. I'm more vigilant only for more sensitive sites like banking, e-commerce, and PayPal.

View attachment 166145

NOTE: Click on image to enlarge

If you have a 12 character password with Numbers, Upper and lower case letters, and symbols it will take approximately 34,000 years for a computer to crack using brute force.

12 characters - Numbers only - 12 seconds

12 characters - lowercase letters only - 3 weeks

12 characters - Upper and lower case letters - 300 years

12 characters - Numbers, Upper and lower case letters - 2,000 years

12 characters - Numbers, Upper and lower case letters, and symbols - 34,000 years.

These numbers are probably only taking into account the pure cracking time, with no consideration to real world constraints such as the fact that usually when gaining access to a system there are HTML requests on each attempt, which take time.

My password - 1882-IgorStravinsky - has 19 characters - which means that I'm safe pretty much until the end of eternity... or "forever"... whichever comes first.
Using a "passphrase" with 24, 36, 48 or more characters, that calculus shifts dramatically.

Also remember that on TC you have 5 goes before you get a 15 minute timeout. I can't remember if there is a lockout after too many failed attempts which would require you to contact the system for a password reset link.
Given that for any site with a minimum of security standards, the only thing making passwords truly vulnerable is if they're easy to guess. The plethora of information out there on all of us, some put there by us ourselves, makes guessing passwords that much easier. A passphrase will be super-easy for a user to remember, but nearly if not totally impossible to guess.

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
When I on the edit profile page change my password and update my email address and click "save changes" nothing happens. So I can't do the requested actions.
On that page you are required to enter your present password for verification purposes.

When I on the edit profile page change my password and update my email address and click "save changes" nothing happens. So I can't do the requested actions.
To make those changes on your profile page you must first enter your present password for verification purposes.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I don't particularly want to create and remember a 10 character password, nor would I be worried about someone hacking into TC and impersonating me (What would they do? Libel Beethoven?). I may just leave. MarkW

1 - 20 of 33 Posts