Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
If one looks further and contrasts the Indian and the Chinese acceptance of Western classical music, I think much of the enthusiasm for such on the part of the Chinese springs from the bursting of many of the shackles of Maoism by the regime of Deng Xiaoping--a sudden (obviously only partial) sense of liberation from the strictures of the past and a desire to speed up and join in the musical tastes (and other hallmarks) of the West. India instead had a long history of growing resentment over British--hence Western--rule, and when independence came, there was no great rush to emulate Western tastes in the arts but rather focus on indigenous Indian art. Just speculation.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If one looks further and contrasts the Indian and the Chinese acceptance of Western classical music, I think much of the enthusiasm for such on the part of the Chinese springs from the bursting of many of the shackles of Maoism by the regime of Deng Xiaoping--a sudden (obviously only partial) sense of liberation from the strictures of the past and a desire to speed up and join in the musical tastes (and other hallmarks) of the West. India instead had a long history of growing resentment over British--hence Western--rule, and when independence came, there was no great rush to emulate Western tastes in the arts but rather focus on indigenous Indian art. Just speculation.
It's quite interesting that immigrants of India to the US usually have their children take classical lessons. (I'm Hindu).

·
Registered
122 Posts
For me I think there are two reasons:

1- India culturally is self sufficient.

2- when it comes to music, indians like open structures that have space of improvisation. Classical music is too rigid.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My friend and colleague, no longer with us. He was a founder member of the Arditti Quartet and latterly a fabulous session player and fixer.

Arditti Quartet founding member Levine Andrade has died

Rohan de Saram is another fine Indian musician, also a former Arditti player.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts