Classical Music Forum banner

How much is your most valuable stringed instrument worth?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
My violin was appraised at $1300 12 years ago. I found it's twin on-line recently for $2000. The best part is that I bought it for $400 and fixed it up for an additional $100. It was quite a deal, but about all I could afford at 15! I bought it with my after school job.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by becky@Aug 6 2004, 05:41 PM
I bought it with my after school job.
[snapback]1301[/snapback]​
I bought mine with my job,too. Everyone I show it to ask "how much did your parents pay for it?" I worked at Dunkin' Donuts for a year for almost minimum wage to get it. ;) By the way, my last day of my first job ever is August 21st. :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 1st job was really pathetic ... I folded sheets and towels in a hotel laundry room! I only worked 16 hours a week. When I was 16, I got a much more prestigious job at Burger King ... believe it or not, better pay and better company. I used my Burger King job to buy a suspension violin case, they were the newest thing in cases, then! I still have the original case to my violin somewhere. It looks like a small, black coffin. Maybe I should take a picture and post it sometime!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by becky@Aug 6 2004, 05:53 PM
My 1st job was really pathetic ... I folded sheets and towels in a hotel laundry room! I only worked 16 hours a week. When I was 16, I got a much more prestigious job at Burger King ... believe it or not, better pay and better company. I used my Burger King job to buy a suspension violin case, they were the newest thing in cases, then! I still have the original case to my violin somewhere. It looks like a small, black coffin. Maybe I should take a picture and post it sometime!
[snapback]1304[/snapback]​
Yeah, that would be cool. I'm interseted in seeing it now. ;) I used to get a little over 20 hours a week, but since the manager knows I'll be quitting soo, I work a total of six hours in the next two weeks! :D My last day, I will be bringing my supersoaker full of coffee as spray everyone who works there. It is one of the huge ones! B) We do crazt things like that all the time. It was really fun working there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My violin was $1200. I got him for my Christmas gift from my mom. Price wasn't the issue when I was looking for a new violin earlier in December. I picked him over a much more expensive violin, heh.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
I worked two years as a service rep in a call center for Tracfone (a cheap-o american prepaid cellphone company). It was disgusting. However, I saved a lot and purchased a new piano and a $200 violin, for begginers.
I had to abandon the violin this year as the University is getting demanding as hell.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
My viola is worth about $2,500, but it may be worth slightly more now; it's sounds a lot better than when I bought it about 5 months ago. I was very lucky for that one to be my very first viola that I've owned.

I also own a violin (the family violin), and that one I'm not so sure about. The strings are old, but when I play it, the sound is huge (somewhat like my viola, but less :D ). I had to buy an E-string to replace the old one, and I plan to buy the rest of them when I can afford them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought mine for $5000 CA but the sound quality isn't worth that much. I'm shopping for a new violin now and my strings teacher recently brought in an old german fiddle worth 5k but its soun d quality is phenomenal. The sound is on par with some 30k-40k violins!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.