Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It looks like maximum number of players for woodwind and brass.
3 of flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons.
4 horns, 4 trumpets, 3 trombones, 1 tuba.

That's a guess. No strings?
Pretty odd line up.

·
Banned
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering.

That would make sense, except lack of the string. Maybe they are not mentioned because number of string players doesn't require any regulations ie. there is no purpose of extended forces in these sections?

Anyway. Here is full quote:

The Maximum instrumentation is 3/3/3/3, 4/4/3/1, 1 Kettledrum, 3 Percussion, 1 Harp,
14/12/10/8/6 (woodwind instruments incl. additional instruments) - vocal forces are not allowed.

·
Banned
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhm, I guess I see now - first numbers, like you said, stand for woodwinds and brass, then the percussive instruments and finally strings quintet.

Still not sure about "(woodwind instruments incl. additional instruments)" note.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My guess would be that it means that some players would be required to double instruments. For example, one or more of the 3 flautists might double piccolo.
Yes and you could probably add alternatives like alto flute, cor anglais, bass clarinet and double bassoon- usually the 3rd woodwind player would take care of those.
It's a pretty Mahlerian orchestra and I'm surprised it doesn't allow for 8 horns, what with triple woodwind and all those percussionists. Still, probably not necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.