Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
G

·
I use an Iphone 6. I'm not a fan of apple products, but i like their phones because their software is solid. They rarely crash, as I seen people with android device complain about app glitches, phone freezes etc.
Surprisingly, given that it is Microsoft - I have had far fewer crashes on my Windows Phone than my wife has with her iPhone.

With other Apple products, this was long the claim. Not anymore. I have been using Macs for over 15 years now, and find them crashing quite a bit. I am glad, also, that Apple finally decided to include a button for ejecting discs - previously, if the computer didn't recognize that it even had a disc, your only resort was to insert a paperclip into the drive to trigger a manual eject.

· Registered
1,919 Posts
I just got my iPhone 6. I've been an iPhone user for years, ever since I first got one in middle school. I'm somewhat of a "loyal Apple fan", but I've tried Android phones and tablets and found them unsatisfactory. It's hard for me to imagine using a non-iPhone any time soon.

G

·
The thing, I guess, that I object to the most with Apple and their products is not that they aren't good - it is rather the arrogance of the brand in thinking that they know better than you what you want. You want your phone customizable? Why the hell would you want that. They have already figured out the ideal configuration. Now shut up and take it. Want a bigger screen? What on earth for? We have determined our phone is exactly the right size for you. Want an expansion slot for more memory? Nah - just pay a lot more money for the one with more memory. I just don't like being told what I do and don't like. And my wife, although she likes her iPhone, can't stand the fact that there is only one button for everything.

· Registered
1,919 Posts
^That is sort of what bothers me about Apple products as well, but also what I like about them. Apple's not going to make a touch-screen laptop like all the other brands have because they don't think that those two products should be fused together. And yet many people who've used the touch-screen laptops made by Acer or Microsoft find the conflation of touch-OS with non-touch OS to be cumbersome (and why Windows 8 was heavily criticized). So on one hand, I'm glad they "stick to their guns" and don't just cave to the trends of other brands, but at the same time I think they go too far with their "streamline" nature and refusal to incorporate more features. I would love a Micro SD slot on the iPad or another button. And I feel like they will just absolutely refuse to even consider it.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
My mother uses a Windows Phone. Quite the odd one. But solid. Great body [Lumia 535], excellent performances and zero crashes/glitches.

Rest of us use Android {Vanilla for dad and I; brother uses modified TouchWiz on his Note III}

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My mother uses a Windows Phone. Quite the odd one. But solid. Great body [Lumia 535], excellent performances and zero crashes/glitches.

Rest of us use Android {Vanilla for dad and I; brother uses modified TouchWiz on his Note III}
I love Android phones for custom ROM's.

G

·
I wanted to try windows phone few years back, but because there was a huge lack in apps, I didn't pull the trigger.
If you are accustomed to the sheer volume of choices that you would have from the Apple App store, or Google Play, then you will be disappointed, immensely. If you are new to it all, though, I doubt you will notice. There are some very good apps for Windows Phone, but a lot of the big developers are ridiculously slow in creating popular apps for the Windows Phone. So if you want every new Angry Birds game, too bad. If you want Instagram, you'll have to wait (it is currently in beta testing). And if you want an official YouTube app, talk to Google. But even with Apple and Google, volume doesn't mean everything. I used to have an Android phone, and a lot of the apps were crap. I'm not going to argue that there is less crap in the Windows app selection - there is plenty of it. Lots of people are trying to put out their own knockoffs of popular apps not yet available for Windows phone, and they usually suck. But there are some good ones.

If you are app hungry, don't get a Windows Phone. If you don't need a ton of apps, then you will find most of the really useful apps available, and some unique to Windows Phone that are actually quite good. I really like the Tiles format of the Windows Phone, and how I can put whatever I want on the Home Screen. I also like the Live Tiles, where you can see updated information without even having to open the app.

They are an acquired taste. They came to the game late, and have shot themselves in the foot in many ways, but I think they are continually improving, and I like what I am seeing. I like it enough that I think my next phone will also be a Windows Phone. Honestly, if I had an Android, the only other apps I would likely have would be games, and I don't like wasting my time so much with those any more. I have a tablet for that.

G

·
Nope, none whatsoever. Never had one privately, and for the first four decades of my life, they did not exist. So, yes, it is easy to do without.
Hmm, given that Bell patented his telephone back in the 1870's, and there were earlier experiments prior to that, I have a hard time believing that phones did not exist for the first four decades of your life - I'm skeptical that anybody alive today would have been alive in the days of Napoleon.

G

·
Sorry, your previous answer made it sound like you had never even had a basic phone . . . ever.

As for smartphones and cell phones - I can understand to some extent. I miss the ability to simply be "unavailable." I am not a big phone talker, and now, if you don't automatically answer the phone, people assume you are trying to avoid them. I don't necessarily like always being at the beck and call of anyone who thinks I should be talking to them at just that instant.

But I also recognize the time in which we live. This is the digital and communication age. Life is advancing at breakneck speed, in no small part due to the rapidity with which information can flow.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I just dusted off my old Nexus One and am charging it up right now. I miss that phone so much :)... has a custom Rom of Android 4.4.2 on it and it's fresh.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.