Classical Music Forum banner

iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone smartphone user?

7K views 72 replies 24 participants last post by  Albert7 
#1 ·
Which type of smartphone do you guys use: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, etc.?

I have all three but mostly use my iPhone 6 and HTC Amaze and iPod touch for music playback.

#2 ·
I forgot to mention that I also use a broken screen HTC MyTouch 4G as a music player to load combined playlists from my Amazon mp3 and iTunes.

G
#3 ·
I have a Windows Phone, and while I know I am in the minority, I love it. I have never owned an iPhone. I have previously used an Android phone. I don't think I'd ever go with an iPhone - I don't like the maniacal control Apple exerts over its consumers, always insisting it knows better than them what they want. At any rate, I don't use my phone for listening to music, except when I don't have my iPod with me (yes, the iPod is exceptional for music listening). I don't want to run down the battery in case I need to make phone calls.

#4 ·
Nice... do you use a Nokia or HTC or Samsung Windows Phone. I have two cheap-o Nokia Windows Phone and really like my Lumia 635 build. Unfortunately the music app messes up the iTunes purchases unlike Android.

G
#11 ·
My wife has an iPhone 5S (I think that is the model). She always defers to my phone for picture taking. That was actually one of the big selling points of the Lumia 928. I think Nokia is actually finally gone - seems like I read they are disappearing. I think they have been swallowed up by Microsoft. The second cell phone I ever owned was a Nokia - nice little phone. I really liked it.

#19 ·
I also have an iPhone 3GS that used to be my primary iPhone before I upgrade to the iPhone 4 then to my current iPhone 6.

#20 ·
Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Had it two years now and very happy with it and will upgrade soon to another similar Galaxy.

I use it mainly for messaging, facebook and the screen is big enough to read so wouldn't bother with a tablet.

I have a separate mp3 player for music.

#22 ·
Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Had it two years now and very happy with it and will upgrade soon to another similar Galaxy.

I use it mainly for messaging, facebook and the screen is big enough to read so wouldn't bother with a tablet.

I have a separate mp3 player for music.
I used to have a Note 2 and loved it :). Sadly enough I had to sell it to upgrade to my iPhone 6.

#28 ·
I don't think that a new iPhone 5s would be better honestly. However there is a mophie battery case that can help you out :).

#29 · (Edited)
iPhone - good camera, good built in hardware, supported by good paid applications. Very American.

Android - good for those who like to change gadgets because Google account can handle it easily. lots of free applications. more choices from Samsung, HTC, to China's products like HuaWei and Xiaomi. Also cheaper than anything else which good to play and throw away in one year life span. If you like tech, Android is more fun to have. Very Asian.

not much experience with Nokia / Windows Phone. Unpopular choice except for those who mainly use smartphone as "phone" only.

G
#30 ·
iPhone - good camera, good built in hardware, supported by good paid applications. Very American.

Android - good for those who like to change gadgets because Google account can handle it easily. lots of free applications. more choices from Samsung, HTC, to China's products like HuaWei and Xiaomi. Also cheaper than anything else which good to play and throw away in one year life span. If you like tech, Android is more fun to have. Very Asian.

not much experience with Nokia / Windows Phone. Unpopular choice except for those who mainly use smartphone as "phone" only.
Actually, I like my Windows Phone for other reasons. It has a degree of customizability that is more than the iPhone (none) but less than the Android phones. It also come with a version of Microsoft Office, which I have found extremely helpful. I'm not going to create Word or Excel documents, or Powerpoint presentations on my small phone, but in a pinch, and for last minute things when I don't have my computer with me, this has been a lifesaver. I can have those files with me all the time - useful for sharing data with others when I am on the go. So I find it more work friendly than the other two platforms.

G
#33 ·
True, but I never found any of those apps particularly satisfactory when I had an Android phone. There are other things about the Windows Phone platform that I find preferable to Android - for one, I think it does a really good job of integrating all my social apps. As for the pitiful apps store, yes, that is always going to be an issue. But honestly, the only apps I really miss are the extra games - and I don't particularly want to play many games on my phone anymore. Other than that, I have found every kind of app I have wanted. No, they don't have Google maps, but I have not been disappointed, nor led astray, by the HERE apps that I do have. In some areas, they have been more up to date than Google maps in my neighborhood. Perhaps the biggest things missing are a good YouTube app and Google Chrome - but due to the fact that both are run by Google, and Google runs Android, there are obvious reasons why Google won't allow such things. Still, I have gotten used to Bing and Internet Explorer.

Windows Phone is great if you are not looking for an Android phone or an iPhone. Much like the Surface tablets from Microsoft - if you want an iPad, you will be sorely disappointed. But, if you want a tablet that can also double as a PC, then it is infinitely better than the iPad. I also have a Surface - my wife has an iPad (she won them both in consecutive company Christmas parties!!!!). When she needs to type things up or print things off, she steals my Surface.

#32 ·
Until recently I used a Blackberry alongside my Android Samsung S3 mini (the first 'touch-screen' phone I've actually liked). Now I have upgraded from the Blackberry to another Android: HTC 610. I have tried the Windows phone OS but I don't like it even though I rather like Windows 8.1 on the laptop, so for me it's Android all the way :)

#34 ·
Surface Pro 3 is an awesome laptop replacement. Runs iTunes too.

#36 ·
I am a long time Samsung user. a Slider phone then an Galaxy Ace and now an S3.Never had any problems.Only upgraded with new contracts.
My daughter has had Various Blackberry's which were so unreliable and the iphone's she has had 4 and 5 were really twitchy. Both had to be completely replaced within months.

#37 ·
I really am loving Android a lot too... however my iPhone 6 has been pretty reliable and my wife just got me a new UAG black case to house the phone in for extra protection.

#38 ·
Still eyeing that wonderful Nexus 6 as a backup phone someday. Really liking it.

G
#41 ·
Surprisingly, given that it is Microsoft - I have had far fewer crashes on my Windows Phone than my wife has with her iPhone.

With other Apple products, this was long the claim. Not anymore. I have been using Macs for over 15 years now, and find them crashing quite a bit. I am glad, also, that Apple finally decided to include a button for ejecting discs - previously, if the computer didn't recognize that it even had a disc, your only resort was to insert a paperclip into the drive to trigger a manual eject.

#42 ·
I just got my iPhone 6. I've been an iPhone user for years, ever since I first got one in middle school. I'm somewhat of a "loyal Apple fan", but I've tried Android phones and tablets and found them unsatisfactory. It's hard for me to imagine using a non-iPhone any time soon.

G
#43 ·
The thing, I guess, that I object to the most with Apple and their products is not that they aren't good - it is rather the arrogance of the brand in thinking that they know better than you what you want. You want your phone customizable? Why the hell would you want that. They have already figured out the ideal configuration. Now shut up and take it. Want a bigger screen? What on earth for? We have determined our phone is exactly the right size for you. Want an expansion slot for more memory? Nah - just pay a lot more money for the one with more memory. I just don't like being told what I do and don't like. And my wife, although she likes her iPhone, can't stand the fact that there is only one button for everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.