Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
It's a strawman that deserves to be ignored. Lesser performers (and I am certainly among them) have to concentrate on the technical aspects of playing and performing, because the first responsibility of any performer is to execute the notes that are written on the page. If you can't play the right notes, in tune, with the proper rhythm, and at a coherent tempo, there's little point to looking past the notes to find "heart and emotion", because the audience isn't going to notice - they're going to hear only the technical flaws.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?

LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.

ALGERNON: I'm sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately-any one can play accurately-but I play with wonderful expression.

--Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
And as long as were on the subject of Cleveland sports... The Cleveland major league baseball team formerly known as the "Indians" announced today that they are now going to be known as the "Cleveland Guardians".

If someone had asked me... which they didn't but should have... I would have suggested the "Cleveland Rocks" - really nice Ian Hunter reference combined with the location of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I'm really surprised they didn't go with the "Cleveland Szells." You'd think the whole city would get behind honoring one if its most distinguished figures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.