Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Claiming that one conductor has access to "deeper musical truths" over others is such absolute inane silliness that anyone who espouses such a claim deserves to be slapped about the head and face until they cease and desist. :lol:
"one conductor has access to "deeper musical truths" over others" = "one conductor does
better than others"

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
How old are you?
Btw, Borge also asks a kid "How old are you?" at around 1:10 in the video I cited in [Post#130]. What I wanted to say with that post was "I think people in this thread are getting too serious they need to laugh and relax a bit, LOL! Both Szell and Furtwängler were equally great at their trade -why is there a need to quarrel over this issue?"

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
whenever a thread pops up celebrating a conductor who isn't Fartwangler.
I was looking forward to reading about Szell, not Brahmsianhorn or Fartwangler.
And now you're using this as an excuse to do your favorite name-calling. A disgrace to the (arguably) greatest conductor of the German repertoire.

I can tell I'm going to get the word 'furtwangler' thrown at me
Yes, you know it and you enjoy it; gets you more chances to call him 'fartwangler'.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
And...I can't believe I let myself get sucked into another Furtwängler debate. Ugh.
What's so hard to believe about it? It's the same phenomenon as in the case of Roggy; you intentionally let yourself cause you enjoy it. Almost everyone loves some sort of iconoclasm deep down.
Yes, you know it and you enjoy it; gets you more chances to call him 'fartwangler'.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
From John Culshaw, Szell's English Decca producer:
"Szell had a notorious tongue and a reputation for eating anyone alive who crossed his path. With very few exceptions, orchestral musicians loathed him, although no musician worthy of the name could fault him artistically. On the podium he was incapable of generating warmth. When he died almost all the obituaries could not resist the comment that he did not suffer fools gladly, but it would be nearer the truth to say that he did not suffer fools at all".
https://slippedisc.com/2018/08/was-georg-szell-as-horrid-as-described/

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Obviously this doesn't correct for number of recordings made nor the playlists spotify creates that would direct many 'casual' listeners who want some 'classical music', but for what it's worth here is the popularity of some conductors, including Szell, for Spotify listeners. Monthly listens:
Karajan: 2,617,000
Maybe Karajan is like Andre Rieu (no pun intended)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.