Classical Music Forum banner
121 - 140 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
One is seeking the truth that lies within the music itself - its essence, its heart - .....
" the truth that lies within the music itself"

IOW - subjective truth. Thank you.

I don't listen to the Brahms 1st to solve world hunger.
right, you are listening for the subjective truth that you posit "exists" within the music....right, we get it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Claiming that one conductor has access to "deeper musical truths" over others is such absolute inane silliness that anyone who espouses such a claim deserves to be slapped about the head and face until they cease and desist. :lol:

Some prefer one conductor's approach, others another, and that's it, except that the conductor typically gets more credit than they quite deserve. It's all just taste, simple, banal taste, with or without attempts at justifying the preference, with or without employing vapid rhetoric or empty pseudophilosophy. In terms of the latter, I prefer without. ;)

I like Szell's recordings. I like his better than Furtwängler's, because I find the latter to be on occasion sloppy, boring, and predictable. YMMV.

Who knows which of the two I'd prefer to play for. I'll never know.

(ETA: disclaimer, I'm not really advocating that someone who makes silly remarks on a classical music message board should be harmed physically. Er, probably not.)

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Claiming that one conductor has access to "deeper musical truths" over others is such absolute inane silliness that anyone who espouses such a claim deserves to be slapped about the head and face until they cease and desist. :lol:
"one conductor has access to "deeper musical truths" over others" = "one conductor does
better than others"

·
Premium Member
7,363 Posts
Oof. I can't disagree that Victor Borge had access to the deepest and greatest and truest essential musical truths.
Victor Borge was a mere mechanical time-beater (* slaps Knorf around the face). James Last, on the other hand, put himself in the shoes of the composer speaking to the audience. Borge reads off in strict dictation like a stenographer. ;)

No, it is Merl's...i find it quite fitting...
Maybe I can't be seen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Victor Borge was a mere mechanical time-beater (* slaps Knorf around the face). James Last, on the other hand, put himself in the shoes of the composer speaking to the audience. Borge reads off in strict dictation like a stenographer. ;)
But who was Victor, and how long shall the memory of James last?

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
We can all agree, I'm sure, that Florence Foster Jenkins plumbed the depths of all music she performed....her rendition of "Queen of the Night" aria revealed the profound philosophical truth of Mozart's creation!! lol!!

·
Premium Member
7,363 Posts
We can all agree, I'm sure, that Florence Foster Jenkins plumbed the depths of all music she performed....her rendition of "Queen of the Night" aria revealed the profound philosophical truth of Mozart's creation!! lol!!
I dunno, have you ever heard Shura Gehrman's Schubert Lieder? Sounds like someone's trapped his fingers in a door. Lol. I don't do lieder anyway but that is painful. I have it on that Brilliant Classics Schubert box. I once used it to clear the house after a party. Worked a treat.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
How old are you?
Btw, Borge also asks a kid "How old are you?" at around 1:10 in the video I cited in [Post#130]. What I wanted to say with that post was "I think people in this thread are getting too serious they need to laugh and relax a bit, LOL! Both Szell and Furtwängler were equally great at their trade -why is there a need to quarrel over this issue?"

121 - 140 of 274 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.