Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sky Plant Building Window Tree

Adolf Loos. Staunch opponent of "multiculturalism", who launched tirades against indigenous "savages" which he considered culturally inferior and "degenerate", as opposed to german cultural superiority.

Glasses Eyewear Collar Tie Suit

Anton Webern, whose patrionism "led him to endorse the Nazi regime in a series of letters to Joseph Hueber, who was serving in the army and himself held such views. Webern described Hitler on 2 May 1940, as "this unique man" who created "the new state" of Germany." Louis Krasner was "particularly troubled by a 1936 conversation with Webern about the Jews, in which Webern expressed his vague but unambiguously anti-Semitic opinion that "Even Schoenberg, had he not been a Jew, would have been quite different!"

·
Registered
184 Posts
If I were an English composer in the early 20th century protesting the treatment of Irish people, I may sneak in a couple of Irish folk tunes into my work.
Yes, the quodlibet.

Speaking of the "Eroica", one should not forget Schoenberg's Ode to Napoleon Buonaparte Op. 41, which should remind you how Schoenberg felt on Hitler. It ends in E-flat major, which is the key of the Eroica.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.