Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
All the different versions are fascinating, but the standard one is for me the tautest and most satisfying. Framing with the Intrada doesn't quite feel right! I suppose it's what you first and most regularly heard that works best!! The alternatives are well worth hearing, of course, especially for the weird and whacky extra passages in the Veruju.

For me the finest version, of many wonderful ones out there, is Mackerras on Supraphon.

Btw did you like the new Netopil recording? I am afraid I found it distinctly underwhelming...
I am undecided on having the Intrada at both start and end. With it makes a nice symmetrical structure, without means that it comes as a great conclusion.

I am also undecided at the Netopil. While I really like the Mackerras/DanishRSO recording, he could have picked better soloists. Currently my favourite inon-standard (for want of a better term) version is a Berlin Philharmonic concert performance with Simon Rattle which is in the Digital Concert Hall archive.

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,776 Posts
I see that nobody has commented about their being multiple versions of the mass. Until about 25 years ago everyone played the slightly revised and simplified 1927/28 version ('standard' version) which came about for various reasons including that the performers found the original version to be too difficult. Since then there have been two updated versions which go back towards Janacek's original intent. There are numerous differences, particularly in metre (e.g. 'Gospodi Pomiluj' which is in 4 on the so-called standard version and 5 in the original). There are also cuts including a notable one in 'Veruju' which was very disconcerting the first time that I heard it! One other difference about which there is some argument is with the Intrada. The standard version only has it at the end but Janacek's original notes show it as also being played at the very beginning. One revised (un-revised?!) version (e.g. the 1994 Mackerras/Chandos) includes the initial Intrada, another (e.g. the recent Netopil recording) does not. Whatever you believe (and remember that Janacek died in 1928 so was unable to give further consideration to the score), if you are only familiar with the standard version, you owe it to yourself to hear something closer to Janacek's original intent.
I have only one of this and it is from Charles. Thanks for the Infos.

·
Registered
32,479 Posts
....and it goes Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei, which bears a vague resemblance to other Masses?
Of course it does, that is how in that time masses where made, with the liberation at the and. ( Libera Me)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts