1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann
14,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Beck , guitarist, passes away yesterday of bacterial
meningitis.
One of the truly greats.
Thanks for all the great music sir, Rest in Peace.

Reactions: eljr

· Premium Member
9,672 Posts
My first Jeff Beck concert was in the Bronx, NY (part of NYC) circa 1971. At the time the Bronx was a particularly violent place. You had a been chance of being shot there then than you did in Vietnam, or so the tale went. Likely true BTW.

It was the first and only concert I have ever been to where rocks and beer bottles were thrown at the performer. And it was not just one or two.

Anyway, RIP Mr Beck. I enjoyed the magic your guitar did through your hand to my ear.

· Premium Member
14,081 Posts
I much preferred Jeff Beck's work with the Yardbirds and the hard rock of the first two JBG albums than what I heard after but that never deterred me from appreciating how much of a multi-faceted talent he was.

· Registered
18,028 Posts
I wanted to go see Jeff when he came to town back in the 90s but couldn't get off work. He's probably the only rock guitarist who could perform Nessun Dorma and not make it sound cheesy. RIP

· Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann
14,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Jeff. RIP

· Registered
1,847 Posts
A true great, and a legend.

I am only a fan of his fusion albums: Blow by Blow, Wired, There and Back, and the live album with Jan Hammer Group.

But just based off those recordings, is enough to bestow him legendary status.

Reactions: Itullian

· Registered
18,028 Posts
I love the instrumental fusion albums but Jeff Beck was also a master of early rock n roll guitar styles and techniques. The Rock n Roll Party DVD, which is up on YouTube, is a great pleasure to watch.

· Registered
18,028 Posts

Wonderful conversation with quite a bit of on the spot live playing from Jeff. Filmed at Abbey Road studios.

· Registered
982 Posts
Ronnie Wood used to play bass with Jeff Beck and he tells stories about them facing off with the rockers and the mods in the wee hours after shows. Ronnie said once he dove through the rear car window, and was just lucky the glass was wound down, and Jeff Beck jumped in the driver's seat and was foot down and away in no time.

so a little know fact is that Jeff Beck was also a top notch "getaway" driver, according to Ronnie Wood

· Registered
3,922 Posts
I was combing through the "popular" records on my LP shelves earlier today and ran across Box of Frogs, a disc I hadn't visited in quite some time.

Gesture Creative arts Cartoon Art Illustration
Sleeve Gesture Font Electric blue Denim

Recalling that Jeff Beck plays on at least four of the songs (he's listed in the credits as "Additional Frog"), I gave the album a well-deserved spin.

I think our departed artists would better appreciate us, their audience, continuing to participate in and enjoy their art than to waste away in mournful lamentation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts