Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
I found it!

I absolutely *love* Johann Strauss II. His work is absolutely a joy to listen to. My favorites include Tristch-Tratsch, Unter Donner und Blitz, Bitte schön!, Accelerations, and of course.. of his operettas: Der Zigeunerbaron.

To be fair, I could keep going and going. I could listen to him all day. Truly, I could. But that's the thing about classical music, there's just so much of it.

· Registered
42,890 Posts
I found it!

I absolutely *love* Johann Strauss II. His work is absolutely a joy to listen to. My favorites include Tristch-Tratsch, Unter Donner und Blitz, Bitte schön!, Accelerations, and of course.. of his operettas: Der Zigeunerbaron.

To be fair, I could keep going and going. I could listen to him all day. Truly, I could. But that's the thing about classical music, there's just so much of it.
How high / low do you rate the Fledermaus or the Voices of spring waltz ?

· Registered
122 Posts
How high / low do you rate the Fledermaus or the Voices of spring waltz ?
I rate them both high. Fledermaus even higher. I don't think I'm able to give a score. I don't have a degree, for one...

Voices of Spring is smooth and constant.

Fledermaus, from time to time, doesn't seem constant (like its starting and stopping). Tempo changes and so does the decibel in the music. Expected but my ears enjoy a constant note. But this doesn't happen all over. But I absolutely love this piece. Especially the Overture, near the end, when it gets fast.

· Registered
383 Posts
When the sun finally starts to have some warmth in it here in the frozen northeast of England, I always reach for my Strauss waltzes CD. The music and the sunshine seem to work perfectly together.

As a side note, it was actually the Mel Gibson film "Gallipoli" that introduced me to "Roses from the South", which is one of my favourites. (It was also his "Year of Living Dangerously" that introduced me to another all time favourite, albeit by Richard Strauss, "Beim Schlafengehen" from "Four Last Songs".)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.