Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello y'all,

I'm Jorge, 51 years old, from a tiny little town called Guaranésia, MG (Brazil) where I gain my life as a farm manager. What I most like on my job is the Nelore cattle and the Mangalarga horses we breed, the permanent need for the use of
- old-fashioned 4x4 heavy duty bush-drive cars and pickup trucks, mine are a 1989 Toyota Bandeirante OJ50LVB bush-drive and a 1991 GMC D-20 single cabin pickup; modern ones will hardly ever do the job, or they will, but spending more time at the workshop than operational.
- horses, mine is a Mangalarga called Cigano; Mangalargas - don't confound with Mangalarga Marchador, that's another breed - are a Brazilian horse breed extremely fine for cattle droving and handling, like America's Quarter Horses, Mexico's Aztecas or Canada's Cutting Horses.
- last generation computers and notebooks; a good opportunity to jerk around on my Slackware Linux, and to get to music.

And sometimes I earn myself an extra with translations between Portuguese, English and French, and with translations from Spanish into the three others.

To classical music I got in April this year and I simply did not stand it before; I'd always run from it. But my girl-friend, an African-Brazilian fabric worker called Elis, has such a passion for classical music that she managed to do what my parents, music teachers at school, classical music loving friends, and one of my favorite book authors, Charles Bukowski, did not succeed with in half a century: she onforwarded her passion for classical music to me.

My special interests about classical music are primarily Zarzuelas and Brazilian Operas and Sacred Music, the latter two genres we have an extremely rich and highly ignored heritage at both. But I've also started researching on Brazilian Operettas, Mágicas, Vaudeville, Musical and musicated Revue Theater.

To non-Hispanic foreign composers I'm already getting here at this forum, but I'll have to get deeper on them at a later point.

What I like besides classical music is Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, root Sertanejo (kinda Brazilian way of Country Music), Country Music, Blues, MPB and Jazz.

Other interests of mine: my Comics collection, Literature, Railway History, Linux computing (Slackware, Vector and Zenwalk), Railway Modelling, History, Riding, and everything related to equines, bovines, bush-drive cars and pickup trucks.

Well, long post, but that's me :)

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Figleaf,

what I've produced for threads so far is that one about Brazil's greatest operist of the 19th Century here: Antônio Carlos Gomes (1836-1896)

and that one here talking about the reopening of Iran's opera houses two years ago: Iran's Opera Houses Re-Opened

And I still will make some threads on Brazilian composers before starting on Zarzuela, but sooner or later I'm gonna do so.

But about Zarzuela you can already start with this one here: Zarzuela.net/ (it's in English).

And if you read Spanish, check out this web Encyclopedia on Zarzuela here: La Zarzuela Webcindario

And I highly recomment you to check out this here too: A Toda Zarzuela

· Registered
1,477 Posts
a Mangalarga Cigano huh?

what colour is it? chestnut?

good select breed, nice energetic horses as I know,
suitable for riding and trips

are their eyes as alert and alive, as they say they are?

as for zarzuela, Pablo Sorozábal's
la tabernera del puerto

on of the best

so lyrical and dramatic

bem vindo

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Clara,

a chestnut Mangalarga called Cigano. By the way, the breed is simply called Mangalarga, or Mangalarga Paulista in order to differentiate it from the Mangalarga Marchador which is also called Mangalarga Mineiro; you can check it on p. 277 in Bonnie Hendricks' International Encyclopedia of Horse Breeds (University of Oklahoma Press, 1995).

Yes, Mangalargas are a pretty good select breed, from energetic to nervous; we also use them for riding and trips, but on countryside the mayor use continues bring cattle droving and handling. They have a pretty harder gait than the Marchadores, so most people prefer a Mangalarga Marchador for leisure and trip riding. Their eyes and ears are always alert, yes, and their eyes are pretty alive. Less than at Mangalarga Marchador, but yes they are.

I know La Tabernera del Puerto, have to agree with you, it's a beautiful work of art. Just listening to that part:

And my absolute favorite Zarzuela part is that one here from Federico Moreno Torroba's Luisa Fernanda:

· Registered
1,477 Posts
Plácido Domingo’s Don Vidal
Luisa Fernanda is very beautiful although the Mazurka of the umbrellas is a bit light for me

I prefer darker sounds

your horse must be very nice

yes i know the mangalarga marchador have various gaits,
picada, batida and marcha

smooth gaits

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Clara,

Mangalarga Marchador have marcha picada and marcha batida as special gaits (marcha = gait in Portuguese), but they have no canter

But Cigano is Mangalarga (Paulista), not Mangalarga Marchador. So no marcha picada nor batida, but the common gaits also a Quarter Horse or an Australian Stockhorse will have. And Mangalarga (Paulista) never are a smooth ride.

The Mazurka of the Umbrellas may be light, ok, but it's made a so charming way. But darker sounds are pretty ok also to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.