Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shocked when I could not find a thread on this magnificent composer. Surely, one of, if not the greatest, Renaissance composer and one of the most influential composers who ever lived. Renaissance music doesn't seem to get much attention around here, so I feel he may be overlooked and underrated by many. So, without further ado...

Josquin Des Prez

Nose Eyebrow Jaw Hat Headgear

Some of my favorites:

Absalon, fili mi
Ave Maria, gratia plena… Virgo serena
Déploration sur la Mort de Johannes Ockeghem
Missa de Beata Virgine
Missa L'Homme Arme
Missa Pange Lingua
Praeter rerum seriem

Many have considered Missa Pange Lingua his masterpiece and rightfully so, however I have not encountered one of his pieces that I consider anything less than superb. Quite a prolific composer having 16 masses, 60 motets, and 60 chansons that survived (374 works in total have been attributed to him) which I greatly look forward to explore further. So, what are your experiences with this composer? What are some of your favorite works by him? Please do share. :)

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Josquin was actually the Beethoven (or Monteverdi) of his time as he formed the bridge between two periods in the history and development of music - the Medieval and true Renaissance periods. His importance and quality as a composer cannot be underestimated and, without his enormous influence on the music of his time, things in the Renaissance might have been quite different (as the Baroque period would have been different without Monteverdi and the Romantic era without Beethoven).

· Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here's a piece I found by him that is pretty nice, the singers sound a bit out of tune in some parts though.

Everyone on here should give this composer a chance, even if you are not fond of vocal music. His music if beautiful!
Nice discovery and thanks for exploring some more of his works. I also found another one of his magnificent pieces:

His works are some of the most hidden masterpieces of classical music considering how little attention renaissance music seems to get. I hope there are others who will discover his music, if they have not already, and comment about what they found.

· Registered
963 Posts
Just recently discovered him. Adore his polyphony.

· Registered
397 Posts
Cool a Josquin thread. I've certainly posted a few of these on the forum before, but I'll take any excuse...

Here's the peerless Orlando Consort:

This 24 part Domine Quis Habitat is performed by The Huelgas Ensemble:

and this is The Hilliard Ensemble:

· Registered
397 Posts
This has actually got the whole of the Hilliard's album of his Motets and Chansons (which is great) on it, but I actually put it here for the track at 38:50, En l'Ombre d'ung Buissonet because I couldn't find another decent version of it on Youtube:

and this is from their 'Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae':

· Registered
23,985 Posts
I think I've read that his most popular work was Missa L'homme armé. (There are two, the one "super voces musicales" is the famous one, "sexti toni" is less famous.)

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I am a newcomer to Renaissance music in general, but Josquin is the one who has really motivated me for the whole era (well, Dufay as well a bit) and has rapidly risen into my favourites of any era. De Profundis Clamavis is one of the few works which really made me step back after first listening to it. I just stopped my player and sat for a few minutes - which I think I've only ever done once or perhaps twice before after a first hearing. El Grillo of course I like, and the Miserere, but I will be on the lookout for to get more music from this wonderful composer. I have only been acquainted with him for a little over a month, so I am afraid I don't have anything more to say.

· Registered
3,577 Posts
Oh look, another under-appreciated Medieval/Renaissance composer. These guys have produced some of the most beautiful vocal works of all time. Get to it, people.

By the way, here are some great recordings to pick up:

The Hilliard Ensemble: Motets and Chansons
http://www.amazon.com/Josquin-Desprez-Chansons-Hilliard-Ensemble/dp/B000TEPGZQ/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_mus?ie=UTF8&qid=1387250703&sr=8-1&keywords=hilliard+josquin

The Tallis Scholars Sing Josquin
http://www.amazon.com/Tallis-Scholars-Sing-Josquin-Desprez/dp/B000EGCTF4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387250850&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=tallis+shcolars+josquin

· Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm still a newcomer to Renaissance (and Medieval) era music, but Josquin des Prez has spoken to me the most so far. I've loved everything I've heard yet by him, especially the Sanctus from Missa Pange Lingua. I'm eager to discover more of his music, I've got my eye on the 2CD set, Tallis Scholars sing Josquin.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts