Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something has been bothering me for a while.

I have come to the conclusion that people think kids can't play musically.
I know that's not true, but that is the impression I'm getting.

Well I just want the world to know that Kids have feelings too.
Yes, I know older people have been through more but
SO WHAT? Did that give them something kids don't have?
So they think kids are so dimwitted, they think kids don't understand anything, never been in love, never seen death, never had the desire to kill, never felt pain, so narrow-minded, that all the music they make is childsplay.

Well guess what.

Believe it or not, kids can have any feelings of any complexity to any degree that old people can,
and if you think kids are too
stupid and immature
(no offense to quoted)
to play music,
I say you can go screw yourself.

Edit: Language

·
Registered
279 Posts
Whoa, Harvey! Getting a little angry here. :) First off, most people naturally grow to think that they are better than they were as kids with age. Secondly, I know kids have feelings of the calibur of adults as well, but I believe the majority of adults tend to UNDERSTAND their feelings better than children, and therefore and express themselves through controlled physical behavior, like playing an instrument. Most children I know throw fits (i.e. my brother). However, if you mean that there are children that are more knowledgeable of their emotions and can express themselves controllably than a hell of a lot of adults, I agree with you wholeheartedly. A lot of adults are dips, for use of more appropraite language.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by Quaverion@Sep 9 2004, 07:01 PM
First off, most people naturally grow to think that they are better than they were as kids with age.
[snapback]1855[/snapback]​
Ha, I wish I was as smart as I was when I was a kid! :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, yes...kids can of caz play musically. But their playing is really , often not as in depth as that of an adult, even for a child prodigy of remarkable accomplishments and music understanding.
But there's an advantage that only children will have...Their Mozart are always better than adults, esp. when it somes to piano and strings. They have a very innocent and rhetorical touch to it, and therefore produced some very natural, excellent tonguing effect on Mozart. This is very hard for an adult to do, esp. so on a piano, that's why Mozart (till today) is often one of the most difficult thing to play for an adult. We always just makes everything sound too deliberate.
But children's Bach will never be as good as an adult, caz they don't have that down to earth feel unlike us.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree, you must grow in to become mature, whe, that's an individual thing. Unless of all discussion nothing can be said THAT kids PLAY the concerts. Because when to start otherwise? The concerts and pieces will grow with them, and I think it's a process.

I can remember a professor telling in a masterclass someone that she wouldn't be mature enough for Beethoven yet and she was nearly an adult. Well yes all right, but you have to start sometimes, or you won't be mature your whole life!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can remember a professor telling in a masterclass someone that she wouldn't be mature enough for Beethoven yet and she was nearly an adult.
Yes, Beethoven. U really need to be more matured to play Beethoven well. That's why kiddo pianists avoid Beethoven.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I remember that classical music enthusiasts are much smarter than does that arent into it. Sure, maybe rock and roll is nice and easy to understand, but if everyone was to dedicate a classical song to which they would listen to and understand, they would know why others like it. [FACT] I know that maybe, 20 people play and instrument out of 320. 5 of those people are idiots that take lessons in schools just to avoid their brothers and sisters (no offence, the lessons are good). 3 of them want to try something new and don't practice. The other ones practice, but they dont practice enough. I think I know why this is. See, they are left with about 10 bits of music which they can play and play adequately. THEY GET BORED. I didn't because (1) My teacher left me lots and (2) my parents bought me music to play. I was keen becase of this. 2 PEOPLE OUT OF 320 IS THAT PLAY MUSIC NICELY IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Please, no one take this as an offence, but this is what I remember from skool.

:angry: :angry:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Something has been bothering me for a while.

I have come to the conclusion that people think kids can't play musically.
I know that's not true, but that is the impression I'm getting.

Well I just want the world to know that Kids have feelings too.
Yes, I know older people have been through more but
SO WHAT? Did that give them something kids don't have?
So they think kids are so dimwitted, they think kids don't understand anything, never been in love, never seen death, never had the desire to kill, never felt pain, so narrow-minded, that all the music they make is childsplay.

Well guess what.

Believe it or not, kids can have any feelings of any complexity to any degree that old people can,
and if you think kids are too
(no offense to quoted)
to play music,
I say you can go screw yourself.

Edit: Language
Yehudi Menuhin thought the same as you.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
I more than agree that many an adult -- especially for some weird reason those in the teaching professions -- more than forgets that though children may not have the conscious and formulated thoughts of an adult, or be able to express what they feel, that they still have complex and deep thoughts and emotions.

Ergo: I think a good deal of how young people are taught anything mightily smacks to those kids as massive condescension, i.e. they are being spoken down to, etc.

When it comes to music, or acting, or other performing requiring conscious understanding of what you are doing, what the piece is about, and how to communicate it, adults trump kids every time. Just a fact of life. The younger player can have similar emotion, and emotional depth, but they are a kid, without any real knowledge of the further implications of emotional matters in an adult world.

Just listen to all those gloriously fun and great early Mozart Symphonies... some a bit surprising in their 'depth,' but mostly they are boy / young man's stuff, filled with the enthusiasm first and foremost of "I can do this!"

But how children are too often thought of, approached, taught -- terrible in my opinion.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Necrobumping?
OMG, that is funny!
(Of course, it gives one a glimpse into yer mind that one would rather not have had, but, nevertheless......)
Heh-heh, necrobumping, gotta remember that.
Wanders off, still chuckling, wondering if there's anyone in the real world with whom to share this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.