Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who loves King Crimson and what are your favourite albums, line ups, players and eras?

I bloody love Lizard, so strange and out of time, nothing sounds like this in rock. Probably their most classical and also jazzy, the only word for it is "rococo".

Next Larks' Tongues in Aspic, one of my top 3 or 4 rock albums, again nothing sounds like this crazy blend of classical, funk, blues and world music.

Unfortunately I intensely dislike their 80's and 90's work.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Huge fan here! I am a fan of progressive music in general.

Their best are 'ITCOTCK' up through 'Red'. My favorite are 'Larks'Tongue', 'Starless', 'Red'.

I love 'Discipline', but none of the other 80's releases. Love the constantly shifting times that Fripp and Belew are playing, over the 17/16 that Bruf is playing on the title track.

'The Power to Believe' from 2000 and 'ConstruKction of Light' from 2003 are great release, IMO.

Reactions: Delicious Manager

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
If any band deserve a thread of their own then it's King Crimson. I've always been impressed with the way that the group - or rather Robert Fripp with his vision - can fiddle with the dials and keep making challenging music rather than resting on their laurels.

My favourite era is the Larks'/Starless/Red albums. However, I was bloody impressed with the way Fripp brought the group back in 1981 after a six-year absence with a different instrumental configuration and played music which was comparatively more streamlined than before (some of the guitar play of Fripp and Belew sounded like quiet-storm minimalism compared to the angular shards-of-glass guitar work that came before) but never descended into the more dubious aspects of mass-market appeal - a direction taken by '70s contemporaries such as Genesis and Yes in order to make themselves sound 'relevant' during that decade of MTV and over-production.

G

·
Another Larks/Starless/Red head here. I saw them on the Islands tour (dire) and pre Discipline (fantastic) when they hadn 't reverted to KC but were calling themselves Discipline.
Fracture and Starless remain two of my favourite pieces of music by anyone anywhere.

What set me off on to music was my brother bringing home a debut album and putting it on for me to hear. I was pole-axed by 21st Century Schizoid Man. So began my life long love affair.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Very much a fan ever since I heard 21st Century Schizoid Man on the Island sampler, Nice Enough To Eat when I was 14.

The first album I bought was Islands which I still like, particularly Sailor's Tale. But like others above my favourite incarnation is the Larks' Tongues/Starless/Red era. I also like Fripp's solo album Exposure. I like Discipline but gave up with Beat. I bought THRAK years ago but seldom listen to it.

There is a cover version of Schizoid Man by a Japanese band on YouToob which is worth a look, as is the version by The Crimson Jazz Trio who are well worth checking out.

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
I binged on KC about 5-6 years ago, but am now burned out. Their later stuff is quite heavy, dark, and brutal at times. The DVD of the concert in Japan circa 2003 is very good. And the live album Vroom Vroom is a good representation of their 80s/90s stuff.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always found with KC that the first album opened up a vast number of possibilities that they took several years to fully assimilate. For instance I think Lizard and Islands are a direct follow on from the more jazzy songs like I Talk To The Wind off the first album and the more gothic stuff like the song The Court of the Crimson King while Larks/Starless and Red are a culmination of the path started by 21st Century Schizoid Man.

I was so blown away by Schizoid that I have always found the rest of Court a bit anticlimactic, particularly as I came to it wanting guitar fireworks and Schizoid is really the only tune with a guitar solo (although I suppose you can call Moonchild a solo). I got more into it over the years but I remember being thrilled when I heard Larks Part I and II and thinking "ah yes they have remembered Schizoid man".

Saying that I love their more ornate side, I know it is sacrilege but I just think that side of KC was better explored on Lizard.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Bugger, they're about to play UK dates.

I don't even know who's in the band !!!

http://www.dgmlive.com/tour.htm

Three drummers??!!
Some them in LA earlier this year.

Great show. Definitely worth seeing, if you have the chance.

But 3 drummers is a bit overkill. They had 2 drummers in the early 2000's.

The current lineup is:

Fripp
Jakko Jakszyk (guitar and vocals) - has played in several projects with KC alumni. Nice voice and talented guitarist.
Mel Collins (sax and flute) - long history with KC and other prog notables.
Tony Levin (bass and Chapman Stick)
Pat Mastelotto (drums) - played in several other KC lineups.
Gavin Harrison (drums) - played with Porcupine Tree, many other artists of various genres)
Bill Rieflin (mostly electronic drums) - played with REM and Nine Inch Nails

G

·
I'm weighing it up. It's a great opportunity but then I've had and ditched all their albums post Red!
(Trivia : Bill was in Ministry too)

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
Reactions: MrTortoise
G

·
I think I have everything they did. Might be one or two I'm missing. I saw them during the Discipline tour with Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and Bill Bruford. Crimson were essential to my musical awakening at 11. 1969 I'm waiting for my older brother to leave for classes or his job or whatever because he had a stereo in his room with the only FM radio in the house. I had a transistor hand held because I was still listening to AM Top 40 stuff but I felt like I had to explore, branch out. My brother would leave and I would go to his room and turn on the stereo and listen to WABX--a true underground station in those days. I'd hear all kinds of stuff--Eddie Harris's "Compared to What" and like that. Even the groups I was familiar with on AM were playing stuff in FM I'd never heard before. That was when I first heard "When I Was Young" and I thought, "That's the Animals???" That was never played on AM that I remember.

So one day my brother leaves and I turn on his stereo and ABX starts playing "In the Court of the Crimson King." That blew me away. First of all, it was like 9 minutes!!! Nobody does 9 minute songs!!! Then it had all these changes and a period of silence and then it got loud again with Michael Giles going nuts on the drums! I was hooked! So on my 12th birthday, my mom asks what I want for a present and I said I wanted this King Crimson album and so she drove me down to this record store and I bought it. I played the damn grooves off the thing. I know every note of every song on that album--even all of "Moonchild."

I started smoking pot by then and then went onto psychotropics in my early teens listening to White Noise, Beefheart, ELP, Switched-On Bach, Hawkwind, Renaissance, Yes, Moody Blues you name it. Those were great times--those early days of musical exploration. This was all before I even got to high school when I began exploring blues, jazz, early Kraftwerk and avant-gard. Those were great times for me. But throughout, I remained a total Crimson fan. I bought every album as they came out.

My favorite cut, I suppose, is off "Earthbound"--a live one-off album that Fripp disowns. It is pretty bad--cutting into the middles of songs and cutting out before the song ends--but the last piece is intact--"Groon." This was a bop jazz piece that Charlie Parker wouldn't have disowned with some great sax by Mel Collins and drums by Ian Wallace. There are several versions of "Groon" available but this one has the drums treated through a synthesizer part of the way through the drum solo and then ends with a weird ear-splitting lick played by Fripp. It's really kind of an inexplicable ending but that's why I like it. My rocker friends just shrug over it not knowing what to make of it but when I play it for my jazz musician friends, they all love it and some even wanted me to burn them copies of the CD so there you go.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I'm another who likes all eras of KC and have probably most of their albums. I consider ItCotKC to be the first proper prog album even though Fripp hates the term. I even like their 80s and 90s line ups. I love the songs "I'm a Dinosaur" and "You Have to Be Happy With What You Have to be Happy With," or whatever it's called. They are one of the very few bands that remained progressive, that is to say never resting on their laurels, throughout their various incarnations. I love Wetton's voice and his bass is a monster. I love Belew's voice. He's a highly underrated singer too though I'm glad he's well known as the Dr. Doolittle of the guitar. Then there's the incomparable Bruford . . .

Ahh -- I think I'm having some sort of progasm.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Love all eras of Crimson. My favorite incarnation is Lark's Tongues through Red (1973-74). Their group improv in this era is astounding; I had no idea at the time that, for example, half of Starless and Bible Black was live improvisation. It's a shame that band didn't make another album or two. There was enough live material and stray tunes (like Doctor Diamond) to do it. Ah well. Palmer-James is my favorite of their lyricists - clean, direct, sincere - none of which applies to Sinfield, although he had flashes of brilliance.

Lizard was my favorite album for a while. Loved Islands too.

I didn't warm to 80s Crimson until the 90s - wasn't much into non-classical then in any case.

90s and 00s bands were great, although I didn't see either live.

Anyone hesitating about seeing the new incarnation should not hesitate. I saw them in Philadelphia. Not much new material, although a couple from Jakszyk, Collins and Fripp appear. They did The Light of Day, for example:

1 - 20 of 192 Posts