Classical Music Forum banner
121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
I happen to like Wake... Similar or not. For some reason I never listen to Red or Bible... I always go with the Great Deceiver live sets for that material.

So my go to studio albums are the first three, and Larks. And for the later period I like The Power To Believe.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I happen to like Wake... Similar or not. For some reason I never listen to Red or Bible... I always go with the Great Deceiver live sets for that material.

So my go to studio albums are the first three, and Larks. And for the later period I like The Power To Believe.
I like Wake also, although a couple of the live versions of Pictures of a City by the current band are, IMO, better than the original. As for live versus studio on Red and Bible, it's pretty much moot since the material on both albums is either essentially live, or never performed live until a few years ago. The "studio version" of "Providence" on Red is an improvement over the live one because David Cross was just not keeping up with Wetton and Fripp on the middle section of that track and the cuts to his contribution make it much more powerful.

Not a fan of Lizard and Islands I take it? ;)

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Which recent live set do you recommend? I was leaning toward Mexico City.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You must have 'Starless.....'. 'The Night Watch' is just beautiful and was the song that got me into them.

I saw them in Edinburgh a few years ago and it was the best concert I've ever been to. Just amazing and unlike any other band. They encompass everything from classical to jazz and all of them are brilliant musicians in their own right. Started off with 3 drummers arranged along the front of the stage, each surrounded by everything you could hit or shake. Magical.
The audience were terrific too, within 10 minutes of me sitting down, everyone around me had introduced themselves! It was like a big party. Another nice thing was Robert Fripp had recorded a message asking everyone to switch off their phones and any other cameras. People actually obeyed!
I don't think recordings can ever capture the unique atmosphere.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
If you want a true sampling of King Crimson over those first five years, I must respectfully disagree with starthrower: the last album you need is In the Wake of Poseidon. As he indicates, it is very similar to In the Court. Every other studio album of that era is essential and quite different from all of the others. Here's a rundown:

Lizard - the most twisted and complex thing Crimson ever produced, using (along with Islands) the largest ensemble of instruments (Flute, Oboe, English Horn, all varieties of saxes, cornet, trombone, piano, mellotron, synthesizer, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, timpani, voice and drums (including a guest appearance by Jon Anderson of Yes). It was meticulously assembled in the studio with numerous overdubs and hundreds of improvised bits. It is also both the jazziest and most classical of them all.

Islands - Uses the instrumentation of Lizard (minus trombone and English Horn), with the addition of bass flute, acoustic bass, harmonium, and classically trained soprano voice. Similar to Lizard in complexity and studio assemblage, but completely different in tone.

The next two have the same lineup as Larks' Tongues (minus Jamie Muir):

Starless and Bible Black - The most spare, stripped down, and raw album of that era, with a couple of songs that sound almost like rock ;). Its big distinction is that more than half of it was recorded in one night live on the stage of the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, although one could never guess this based on the quality of the sound and playing - nor was any indication of this given at the time of its release. Equally notable, about half of the album is live improvisation. This is hard to believe as well because the coherence and overall drama of these improvisations is miraculously good.

Red - A thorough masterpiece including one amazing long improvisation. A few players from the earlier incarnations return to add wind color (oboe, saxes, cornet).
EdwardBast, this is very helpful. Thanks for listing all the instruments used on each and a brief description of each album's style. I know I would have liked King Crimson as a teen. The instrumentation and complexity of the music would have really intrigued me, and it does now. It's too bad I am only now getting to know King Crimson nearly 50 years after their debut. Ahh, but better late than never. I'm going to comb through our local used CD shops and see what I can find. I will probably also buy a CD or two from Amazon.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
That's a tough one. I've heard them in concert and own three live sets, but I'm sure I don't have a handle on all that's out there. My all time favorite version of Pictures of a City is from Toronto (2015). The Chicago concert from 2017 has a great live performance of The Lizard Suite (Dawn Song, Battle of Glass Tears, Prince Rupert's Lament), something many would have thought impossible. It also has great performances of Fallen Angel (never performed live in the 70s) and Level Five. I've heard cuts from Mexico City but don't own it. Afraid I'm not much help - but others could pitch in with recommendations.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Toronto sounds like a good bet. I'm a big fan of Lizard, and I wanted a live set just so I could listen to the drummers. I found them less interesting when it was only Pat M in the band. He's a good drummer but I don't really like his sound.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Regarding what to buy next, I took your advice. And by 'your' I mean plural. Someone mentioned In the Wake of Poseidon, someone mentioned Lizard, someone mentioned Red and someone mentioned Starless and Bible Black. So I got them all, and Islands and some Vaughan Williams. Not too expensive (about $12.50 Canadian each) from a third party seller on Amazon. All new. They won't be here for a couple of weeks. Why not?

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
I just bought the Live In Chicago CD today. I'm enjoying this quite a bit. The band sounds great, and the set list is very diverse. From what I've read this is a sound board recording but the fidelity is very good. I'm sure some of the multitrack mixes on other live sets including Toronto are even better. But fans were saying the Chicago performance is one of the best of the recent live releases.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I realize that I'm late to the party, but if you can find it, try Live in Nashville, TN, from Nov. 2001 (well, kinda recent). It's a King Crimson Club release. Most of the cuts are from The Construktion of Light and The Power to Believe. I think it's truly outstanding stuff.

I saw them way back in the early 70s as the warmup band for the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I couldn't hear for about a week afterward. :)

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
I realize that I'm late to the party, but if you can find it, try Live in Nashville, TN, from Nov. 2001 (well, kinda recent). It's a King Crimson Club release. Most of the cuts are from The Construktion of Light and The Power to Believe. I think it's truly outstanding stuff.

I saw them way back in the early 70s as the warmup band for the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I couldn't hear for about a week afterward. :)
Ha, ha! I don't like super loud concerts. I don't know how musicians could stand playing so loud for a whole tour?

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts

Great music from that period. I have the original, limited edition, Heavy ConstruKction CD.

First time I saw Crimson was in Manhattan, Yes opened and did a 30 minute set, they were still unheard of. Procol Harum was on top of the 3 band bill.

But, when I saw Crimson in Boston 2 years later, wow! What a freakin' show. It was the Starless and Bible Black tour.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ha, ha! I don't like super loud concerts. I don't know how musicians could stand playing so loud for a whole tour?
It's funny... apparently KC is still loud like that. An old college friend recommended that Live in Nashville album to me. He saw them live in Atlanta around 2012 or so. They way he described it to me was that they were "peeling the paint off the walls."

It's a wonder I can hear it thunder, what with all of the insanely loud live music I heard back in those days. These days I'll settle for a well-played string quartet.

·
Registered
922 Posts
A collector I know was at maybe a hundred rock concerts in the 70s.
His hearing is now fecked. Serious tinnitus and he's always asking you to lower your voice (when your talking normal volume.)

that's one reason why The Deacon beaker never went to live events.
Another reason is obvious: yobbos.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I've been really digging Larks' Tongues in Aspic lately, the non-vocal tracks at least. Rather listen to that than Classical FM Radio for sure. I feel In the Court.. is more consistent, but Larks' ... Aspic Part 1 is my favourite track. I found Red and other albums kind of disappointing. Starless is the only track I sort of like.

121 - 140 of 192 Posts