Classical Music Forum banner
141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
The only studio albums I listen to are the ones up through Larks. Red always comes out on top on the KC favorites lists but I never play it. After 1972 it's all live material when I put on a KC album which isn't very often these days.

·
Premium Member
11,240 Posts
I'm sure I've said this on a different thread but I have to admit that my affection for In the Court of the Crimson King has palled over time. I was blown away to begin with but Epitaph and the title track just sounds to me now like the Moody Blues on steroids, and I Talk to the Wind reminds me of them as well. I only really have time for 21st Century Schizoid Man and Moonchild from that album these days.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I feel In the Court...is more consistent, but Larks' ... Aspic Part 1 is my favourite track.
Agree with the first point, but prefer "Larks' II" to "Larks' I." The heavy riff of the latter strikes me as clunky and dumb; I dig the funk of the former.

If only three KC albums: Court; Lizard; Red (the return of the winds was mightily welcomed hereabouts).

·
Registered
696 Posts
In The Court of the Crimson King is objectively one of the most overrated albums of all time. (

Ok I'm just kidding about "objectively", but I think everything they made afterwards is light years better. I don't get what's so special about it.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
In The Court of the Crimson King is objectively one of the most overrated albums of all time. (

Ok I'm just kidding about "objectively", but I think everything they made afterwards is light years better. I don't get what's so special about it.
Wow, I never heard anyone say this before.

I though I was alone.

In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard were much better, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

I like its over-the-top theatricality and production (the reverb with the bass clarinet and drums in Epitaph, great sound). I've changed my signature to one of its lyrics.

·
Premium Member
11,240 Posts
I like its over-the-top theatricality and production (the reverb with the bass clarinet and drums in Epitaph, great sound). I've changed my signature to one of its lyrics.
Not from Epitaph, of course, but I might have chosen "Never need to worry with a tin of Hurri Curri". :)

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Over the last few weeks I’ve been listening to quite a few of my KC recordings. LTIA has been my favourite for the last 48 years, but I think I now prefer ITCOTKC!!!

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Agreed. LTIA hasn't age well for me; from that group I prefer Red, in large part because of the return of the winds. Like Pepper and Are You Experienced? before it, Court still exudes its original unprecedentedness.
I hadn't really thought about whether the albums have aged well or not. LTIA is still a desert island disc for me and I don't think
the drumming and percussion will ever be surpassed.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
I've never owned a copy of Starless and Bible Black. I listened to it on headphones tonight and I Ioved it. I know live versions of some of the tunes but hadn't listened to the studio recordings. Anyway, I ordered the 30th Anniversary CD along with Meltdown: Live In Mexico City, so I'll be looking forward to these arriving soon. Also listened to Live In Chicago today. It's an excellent stereo soundboard recording. Meltdown is a full multi track recording which sounds even better. It included 3 CDs and a Blu-ray DVD.

141 - 160 of 192 Posts