Classical Music Forum banner
161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
592 Posts
As with the Softs Vol 1&2, King Crimson’s ITCOTCK is a bloated mess, compared to the brilliance of Poseidon, Larks and Red. The live stuff from that period is so abrasive. I love that line from Fripp, comparing the soundscape of Bruford & Wetton to giant, flying concrete wall…

Couldn't get away with these lyrics today…

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bloated mess to my ears. I did Poseidon too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The only bloated part of ITCOKC is the free improv section of Moonchild. I used to have a KC compilation (Frame By Frame) that included the whole album but elided that section. Without that I'd say ITCOKC may be one of the LEAST bloated albums ever. As much as I love Larks and Red (I like Poseidon too, but I probably prefer both Lizard and Islands to it) I don't think of either of them as being particularly concise. That's when KC started experimenting with longer forms and allowing songs space to breathe and slowly evolve. The Larks' Part I title track, while perhaps my favorite KC track, actually takes some time to get going, and while it's worth the wait I could easily see some people thinking it's a long trip for a decent view.

·
Premium Member
11,240 Posts
The only bloated mess in recent times has been the naff artwork. Away with it!

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
What can I say? I get more out of ELP and GG.
I love ELP but they only made five good records. GG made about six. I actually really enjoy the recent KC band playing material spanning a 50 year period.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I love ELP but they only made five good records. GG made about six. I actually really enjoy the recent KC band playing material spanning a 50 year period.
I'd love for KC to put out an album of new material. I don't hate the band, but I am tired of listening to different iterations of the same material. I am sure they at least have one more album in them.

As for GG—what other band sound sounds like them? They're utterly unique.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
All the original bands were unique which was a great characteristic of that era. Not sure why KC hasn't recorded any new material? Either Fripp isn't inspired to write new material or Jakko saves all his tunes for his solo albums. His last one is really good. I plan on picking up a copy.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
ELP is one of the classic prog bands I could never gel with. I can appreciate the technical talents of them as instrumentalists, but the music does very little for me, and Emerson's obsession with writing classical music comes off as cringey. His one actual attempt at a classical work sounded like an average student piece. To me, Zappa and even KC made good use of their classical influences; Emerson, not so much.

I'd love for KC to put out an album of new material. I don't hate the band, but I am tired of listening to different iterations of the same material. I am sure they at least have one more album in them.
There's actually quite a bit of new material on their recent live releases, probably enough for (at the very least) a short album. They just seem to have no interest in going back into the studio for whatever reason.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
ELP is one of the classic prog bands I could never gel with. I can appreciate the technical talents of them as instrumentalists, but the music does very little for me, and Emerson's obsession with writing classical music comes off as cringey. His one actual attempt at a classical work sounded like an average student piece. To me, Zappa and even KC made good use of their classical influences; Emerson, not so much.

There's actually quite a bit of new material on their recent live releases, probably enough for (at the very least) a short album. They just seem to have no interest in going back into the studio for whatever reason.
Probably because Fripp makes more money from touring and the resulting live albums that are released. In reality, how many 75 + year old rockers are churning out vital new material?

Reactions: Eva Yojimbo

·
Registered
939 Posts
Unless I've missed it, it strikes me as somewhat passing strange that the KC repertory band of past 7 or so years--given its wide repertory breadth--doesn't appear to have ever performed "I Talk To the Wind," "Cat Food," "In the Wake of Poseidon," "The Great Deceiver," or "Lament."

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Kinda glad they didn't perform The Great Deceiver. I fear it would sound like a mess with two drummers, guitars, and woodwinds. I Talk To The Wind could be a nice vehicle for Jakko and Mel Collins.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Unless I've missed it, it strikes me as somewhat passing strange that the KC repertory band of past 7 or so years--given its wide repertory breadth--doesn't appear to have ever performed "I Talk To the Wind," "Cat Food," "In the Wake of Poseidon," "The Great Deceiver," or "Lament."
No band I know of with a significantly large catalog is going to perform every song in that catalog; it's nearly impossible, and undoubtedly time-consuming to relearn and practice songs that may not have been played for years, and do this relearning process before every tour. We should be thankful KC have been playing the breadth of repertoire they have, especially given the comparatively limited selections from the Belew years.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
The lads can certainly play, I'll give them that much credit.
The quartet with Belew and Trey Gunn is my preferred KC band. I just ordered the massive Heaven and Earth box so I can't wait for this to arrive. At just over a hundred bucks it contains over a hundred hours of music. And no nostalgia trips down memory lane. It's all cutting edge modern rock/ improv music. Contains the four Projekcts albums, the new remixed Reconstrukction of Light, 8 CDs of live concerts, and a whole lot more on the Blu-ray discs, audio and video.

161 - 180 of 192 Posts