Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Atterberg

Here's a thread we need in this department. There were a number of excellent Scandinavian composers in the twentieth century, Atterberg among them.

The work that first really appealed to me was his symphony #5, but it seems that perhaps his most famous work is the "Dollar Symphony," #6.

It appears that for now the most popular / accessible source of his works is the CPO recordings, available in a box set:

Any other fans of his works here?

· Registered
828 Posts
Listening to his Piano Quintet now, and it's quite enjoyable!
But the third movement is rather weird. Is the piano supposed to sound so off during almost the entire thing?
I'm listening to the New Budapest Recording on the MarcoPolo label.

· Registered
499 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Atterberg

Here's a thread we need in this department. There were a number of excellent Scandinavian composers in the twentieth century, Atterberg among them.

The work that first really appealed to me was his symphony #5, but it seems that perhaps his most famous work is the "Dollar Symphony," #6.

It appears that for now the most popular / accessible source of his works is the CPO recordings, available in a box set:

Any other fans of his works here?
Yes - huge fan of Scandinavian music...too many folk to do justice to; Atterberg was one of the first I came across, so owe him a lot.
Happy to discuss Scandinavians (and baltic composers for that matter)till the cows come home, so maybe hear from someone !

· Registered
11 Posts
Well !!! I agree with Violadube, in my opinion, Atterberg s a huge man of scandinavia music, he s a great talent, as well as Melartin, all of his symphonis is so good, brilliant and grandiose. I like alll of his symphonis, especialy 1,3,5 and his violon & piano concerto. Nevertheless he s a engineer, and in music, he only amateur , a great amateur :))

· Registered
6 Posts
My favourite Atterberg symphony is the third, "West Coast Pictures". No. 6 is good too, and fun. I really like the first two movements of Symphony No. 5 "Sinfonia funebre" but the finale is not convincing to me. Suite No. 3, for violin, viola and strings, is very beautiful.

· Registered
2,953 Posts
Some times I feel that, had he grown out of the Romantic pastiche, he could have been 'the one' Scandinavian composer. Some of those marvelous themes could have been stolen by Stravinsky. Yet, his overindulgent music is still good for the occasional listening as fruit is to cleanse the palate.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
I'm a great fan of Attenberg, too. My favorite symphony is his second, but reading the comments in this thread will send me back to some of his others as well. The only problem with the second is that it sounds like two separate works, since Attenberg listened to criticism that it sounded unfinished, and added another "last" movement. I think it would have sounded just fine in its original conception.

· Registered
Mahler
4,693 Posts
So What

Atterberg is not a great composer. He is not as good as Beethoven or Brahms or Sibelius. So What?

Just because a composer is not a top tier does not mean that his music is unworthy.

He is an example of an ungreat composer how wrote some great music.

When I made the statement about how I felt sorry for people who only listen to great composers because there is a lot of great music out there written by second tier composers. Atterberg is one of those composers.

He may lack the consistency of the great masters but at times he can really create something magical.

Right now I am listening to the "Second Movement" of the Eighth Symphony. As far as I am concerned note for note it is up there with the great ones. :cool:

Reactions: kyjo
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.