Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't you think that it's unfeasibly long? I do.
Yeah... it's longer than Feldman's String Quartet 2... but I will try after April to see what the fuss is about.

Reactions: SeptimalTritone

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ The fuss is totally worth it. The septimal overtones of the tuned piano make a beautiful otherworldly resonance. The whole thing used to be on youtube... I think you'd have to buy it now.
No worries... hunting down this piece is alone work the Holy Grail of compositions.

· Registered
10,697 Posts
Someone I know who was part of the Lamonte Young scene in New York said that you really are expected to listen to Well Tuned Piano, from begining to end. It was supposed to be transformative, enlightening, a spiritual practice. This may not be the case for a the big Feldman Quartet, I don't know if Feldman really intended a single focused listening session it, or what. Or why.

If anyone wants me to put WTP on symphonyshare I will.

G

·
I must confess I know very little (translation: nothing) about La Monte Young except for one piece which I heard before I experienced La Cage's 4'33", which is this one:
When I first heard it I was preparing for a cello exam and needed a "contemporary" piece that would show off my skills. I passed, though I always kept a place for this piece in my heart as it gave me pause for thought about music/sound and opened my ears to how one may well make "music" of any sonic material. Also the universality of the interval of the 5th.
I also thought (and still do) that La Monte Young has one of the sexiest sounding names. I shall be contacting the Moderators shortly to modify my name to Talking La Monte's Youngish Head.

· Registered
10,697 Posts
I must confess I know very little (translation: nothing) about La Monte Young except for one piece which I heard before I experienced La Cage's 4'33", which is this one:
When I first heard it I was preparing for a cello exam and needed a "contemporary" piece that would show off my skills. I passed, though I always kept a place for this piece in my heart as it gave me pause for thought about music/sound and opened my ears to how one may well make "music" of any sonic material. Also the universality of the interval of the 5th.
I also thought (and still do) that La Monte Young has one of the sexiest sounding names. I shall be contacting the Moderators shortly to modify my name to Talking La Monte's Youngish Head.
An even better name than La Monte Young is the name of his friend Charlemagne Palestine, whose music is not dissimilar and who was part of the same New York movement.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An even better name than La Monte Young is the name of his friend Charlemagne Palestine, whose music is not dissimilar and who was part of the same New York movement.
Thanks, I will have to check his pal's work as well. That should be another adventure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.