- Mahler Symphony 2 (live) - Tennstead/LPO
- Beethoven Symphonies by Tennstead/LPO
- Symponies 1 & 5 (BBC Legends)
- Symphonies 3, 6 & 8 (EMI Collection)
- Symphony 9 (BBC Legends)
- Bruckner Symphonies 4, 7 & 8 - Tennstead/LPO
- Brahms Symphony 4 - Kleiber/VPO
- Flagstad Recitals 3: Wagner & Mahler
- Sibelius (BBC Legends) Symphonies ? & 7 - Beecham/RPO (either 2 or 4 - I forget which)
- The Later Tradition - Beecham/RPO
- Icon: Rudolf Kempe

A bigger order than I usually make but there were special offers, a gift voucher and it is my last order for a good while so why not?

I love the London Philharmonic under Tennstead (Jurowski is also phenomenal with them - particularly his Tchaikovsky), I prefer it the LSO to be honest. After hearing his Mahler and Brahms, I wanted to hear more. It was a hard pick between his two Beethoven 9ths but I chose the BBC Legends for now as it is from the 1985 proms, just before he was diagnosed with his terrible illness (the second being a 1992 recording if memory serves). If I find a way to justify another 9th, I may get this later one at some point in the future.

Sir Thomas Beecham is a recent discovery as is Rudolf Kempe. What I have heard on YouTube whilst looking into them has really got my interest. Bernstein is in this category too.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Recent Purchases:
- After hearing Bruckner's Helgoland I decided to give Beethoven's Missa Solemnis a try. After hearing a number of samples, I opted for Otto Klemperer's recording. After my first listen I know I have made the right choice.
- Likewise, I have been listening to the orchestrated version of the Barcelona album, home of two of my favourite singers of all time. Consequently, I have seized the opportunity to explore Montserrat Caballe, ordering her recording I'd Aida with Muti, "Presents Monserrat Caballe" and and album of Arias by Strauss and Boito . After listening to some of her EMILY icons set and the aforementioned Barcelona album, I am rather excited.
- Bruckner Symphony 00 - Tinter/RSNO - an Amazon recommendation and the samples sound great. The price was right and the orchestras recordings have always been of a high standard.
- Julian Bream - My Favourite Albums - I love acoustic guitar (and now lute music) and this set is fantastic.
- Poems - Renee Fleming - I'm a big fan of Renee and this is her latest release...

I have also just ordered The Classical Tradition by Sir Thomas Beecham/RPO (Haydn and Mozart) on the strength of a similar box set of music by Beethoven, Schubert, Strauss et al. and the Brahms Symphonies/Requiem from the Klemperer Legacy series EMI are releasing as a result of Missa Solemnis opening me to Choral and Klemperer. I only wanted the Requiem but it was only about £1.60 extra for the Four Symphonies (and Academic...) so I opted for the extras at that price (less than £10 so a bargain).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
A second copy of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, this time by the Orchestre des Champs-Élysées/Herreweghe.

It reviewed well in BBC's Music magazine and it was on a promotional sale. Plus, I have heard snippets if this performance when I researched the peace initially and opted for Klemperer's fantastic interpretation as my first real exposure.

I also ordered the Orchestrated Barcelona album on vinyl. I love the album and have done for a very long time. Freddie Mercury has always been one of my favourite singers and frontmen and this album introduced me to Montserrat Caballe whom I regard as one of my favourite sopranos of all time. The original album opened me to opera and this orchestrated version is highly enjoyable, though the vocal layer seems odd on the orchestrated CD when compared to the original version of the album. Not terrible, just odd - or maybe it's just me :confused:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have just ordered Uchida Plays Schubert. I have being contemplating Scubert's Piano Sonatas for some time, mostly between Schiff and Brendel. After listening to some samples, I opted for Mitsuko Uchida's set. Although I understand her tempos vary a great deal compared with some interpretations, I really enjoyed the samples. I have some of the Sonatas and the Impromptus by Brendel (the former live) but I think I may prefer Mitsuko. Time will tell if my gut feeling is correct.

On the Schubert trail, I also ordered Thomas Quasthoff performing Die schöne Müllerin. I am familiar with Quasthoff singing Schubert's Lieder and from samples I have heard, I know this will be a wonderful purchase. Quasthoff has very quickly become one of my favourite baritones, thanks to an orchestrated album of Schubert Lieder with the fantastic Anne Sofie Von Otter and also since hearing him appear on Desert Island Discs.

I also ordered Abbado conducting Rossini Overtures with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. I wanted a more modern recording to accompany the mono Toscanini recordings I have on the "Music that inspired A Clockwork Orange" album. Samples sound very interesting. The Chamber Orchestra of Europe has impressed me greatly under the baton of Abbado and Harnoncourt.

Finally, I ordered a recital DVD of Montserrat Caballe filmed in Paris 1966. I am a huge fan of Montserrat so I am eagerly awaiting this chance to see her as her career was really taking off.

Reactions: ptr and Vaneyes

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have just ordered the Otto Klemperer Mozart 4 Opera box set which was recently released or rereleased as the case may be. Lucia Popp is a revelation (new to my ears and what a discovery) and Otto Klemperer has not yet let me down. Individually, the interpretations score well on review too so I am confident.

Also ordered the EMI Legends/Icon set for Brigitte Fassbaender. It doubles up her Winterreise recording but is the most economic way of acquiring further recordings. I love her interpretation of Winterreise and look forward to hearing more of her.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Whilst mulling over Klemperer, I ordered the following:

Rozhdestvensky - Conducts Shostakovich (Symphonies 7, 9 and 10) - After further listening to his 8th with the London Philharmonic I want to hear more from this conductor. Just a pity the fifth isn't available.

Rostropovich/LSO - Shostakovich Symphony 5 - I have his eighth symphony with this pairing and though I now prefer Rozdhestvensky/LPO, I enjoyed it sufficiently to try his take on the piece. My original copy of the fifth has become inexplicably damaged so this seemed like an appropriate time to this interpretation.

Brigitte Fassbaender/Reimann - Schubert's Schwanengesang - I love Brigitte Fassbaender's Winterreise so this was an easy choice. She is a wonderful singer, especially in lieder. It will be interesting to hear how this differs from the approach of Thomas Quasthoff.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I recently came in to a sudden windfall so I decided to pick up a few bits I had been putting off for various reasons as well as few items I have been pondering.

In particular I have been able to pick up some operatic works which would otherwise have been on the back burner for a while:
- Verdi
- Macbeth (Royal Opera House) Blu Ray
- Macbeth (Abbado/Verrett/Domingo et al.) CD
- Maria Callas - Four Legendary Live Performances (Aida/Mabeth/La Traviata/Un Ballo in Maschera)
- Berg
- Lulu (Glyndebourne/Shafer/Bailey et al.) DVD (I almost went with the Petibon Blu Ray whch seemed highly praised, but the Glyndebourne was picked out by name as being slightly stronger. I may look at this Blu Ray at a later date)
- Lulu (Leopold Ludwig) CD
- Wagner - my knowledge of this composer's works is limited to the Ring Cycle (my introduction to Wagner), various overtures, the Wesendonck-Lieder and I have just started Tristan so I have a long, long way to go.
- Wagner at the Met (a bargain, plus I am a huge fan of Kirsten Flagstad)
- Wagner (Jonas Kaufmann)
- Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg (Glyndebourne) Blu Ray
- Lohengrin (Rudolf Kempe) CD

Finally, I picked up a An Die Musik - a collection of Schubert Lieder by Bryn Terfel.

Now if only I could have purchased time to work through them...:lol:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I just ordered Mahler's First Symphony performed by Jurowski/London Philharmonic.

The main motivator is that it includes the Blumine movement, which as it is not included by Tennstedt or Bernstein I have not heard. This is why it beat a live performance of piece under Tennstedt with the LPO. I have the studio version which is great but Tennstedt really comes into his own live in front of an audience. I have no doubt about Jurowski though, his Tchaikovsky with LPO is superb so this should be interesting.

I also picked up the book Gustav Mahler by Jensen Malte Fischer, translated into English on the Yale imprint. Saw it a local bookshop by accident a day or two ago and snapped it up. Light reading it won't be but it should prove an interesting read.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Another couple of books:
Wagner: The Wizard of Bayreuth by Barry Millington
Great Operas: A Guide to 25... By Michael Steen

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Mahler's Fifth Symphony performed by Claudio Abbado & Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. An accidental find by a friend who saw it and thankfully, rang me. A bargain, £4 used and in absolutely pristine condition - it had clearly been cared for. Looking forward to getting time to listen to it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
When you find a classical record in the thrift shop, it's always in perfect condition. When a whole collection appears you know there's one fewer fastidious music lover in your town.
True, very true but at least the music hasn't ended up in a landfill.

Whatever the reason it is in a thrift store, at least it is still in circulation. Something I consider if I ever have to thin out my collection for any reason.

Reactions: josecamoessilva

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
A charity shop find* of a volume of Wagner conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham with the orchestrated W. Lieder performed by Kirsten Flagstad and a 10 minute interview with Flagstad in singing Wagner.

Whether or not it is previously unreleased (at that point) I cannot say but I have never heard of Flagstad working with Beecham and it is released the Beecham foundation so it is hopefully a legitimate releas of it's time.

A bonus is the interview, I have a 3 minute fragment where Flagstad advises young singers to build up to Wagner so the chance to hear hopefully the full interview is really interesting.

I am a huge fan of both artists on the disc so it is a Charity Shop diamond indeed, I am glad to be able to give it a good home and get to help a charity too.

* I was actually thinning out some of my CDs and DVDs from other genres because space is limited at present. However, I consider this my last hurrah. For the time being, I can actually call my music collection complete.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
*I don't know why one image appears twice but anyhow, here are the rewards (or should that be consequences) of winning a gift card - namely spending a little more than you intended :lol:.

I have been wanting to hear Kathleen Ferrier for a while and Mahler has become one of my favourite composers so this seems like a perfect way to go. I've never heard Bruno Walter either so this is going to be very interesting.

Likewise, I have been wanting explore Holst beyond The Planets. Boult is the natural choice here, having known the composer and being to my knowledge associated with Holst's works.

As for Uchida's take on the Beethoven Paino Concertos, my only knowledge of the works is via the excellent recordings of Barenboim and Klemperer. Uchida has become one of my favourite pianists thanks to Schubert's Piano Sonatas and what I have heard of her interpretations of Mozart's Piano Concertos so I really wanted to give her try Beethoven a try.

View attachment 20895 View attachment 20896 View attachment 20897 View attachment 20898

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
1 - 20 of 348 Posts