Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I really like Casella's work. I have never heard of Panufnik before. I'll have to check him out.

Kevin
Casella is a great composer. I'm happy that Chandos is releasing yet another recording in their ongoing series with Noseda. This time around he's conducting my favorite work by Casella: the Sinfonia (Symphony No. 3). As for Panufnik, he's an odd-brew. :) I'm still becoming more familiar with his music even though I've listened to him on/off for several years now. I might have to have another go at some of his music since I bought this new recording.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
That is good news that Chandos is going to be releasing more Casella. He deserves to be heard more frequently. I found the Panufnik on Spotify and so I wrote about it in the current listening thread here:

http://www.talkclassical.com/1005-current-listening-post457181.html#post457181

Kevin
Yes, I hope Noseda continues to record more Casella even after this new release which will be issued on June 3rd. I just happened to look on Spotify awhile ago and am pleased that they have a good many recordings for people to hear, but, as you could probably figure, I like buying the CDs and blasting them through my stereo. :)

Thread duty - just bought:

Reactions: Sonata

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Nice speakers, Kevin! Ha! I only have some PolkAudio bookshelf speakers but they'll blow you out of here! ;) Anyway, yes, I, too, use Spotify to test drive recordings. What a great site. The unfortunate part for me is that most of the recordings I'm listening to I want! :D Anyway, hope you enjoy Panufnik's music. I'm now only starting to get some more recordings of his music after quite a long hiatus from his music.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Did Mstislav ever make a bad recording? :) This is bound to be good!
Good point, Kevin. :) I think the only Rostropovich recording I was ever disappointed with was the recording he did with the bland, workaday Malcolm Sargent. The recording in question was the one with Myaskovsky's Cello Concerto and Prokofiev's Sinfonia Concertante on EMI. I never have liked these performances at all.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Just purchased and listened to the 9th for the first time. I have no words to describe how I enjoyed it! Maybe I will have to listen to it more 2 or 3 times to be able to understand a little more of this outstanding symphony.

One of the most magnificent recordings of Bruckner's 9th on record. No joke! I'm a huge fan of Bruckner and, in particular, this symphony. I've always loved Wand's recording with the Berliners but this Guilini is very special.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I've been eyeing up that Grainger Edition for months. Keep hoping it will drop into my price range. Let us know how you get on with it :)
Will do, MagneticGhost. I bought mine for $60, which is still too high but I've been looking at this set since it came out. I also factored in that I know so little of Grainger's music. The Geoffrey Simon recording will be a nice makeweight as well. ;)

Reactions: MagneticGhost

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Also bought last night but forgot to post -

Bought this for the Bacewicz (obviously) but I know this Karlowicz work and enjoy it as well.

Reactions: Vaneyes
1 - 20 of 161 Posts