Classical Music Forum banner
15601 - 15620 of 15769 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
On Saturday I was fortunate enough to win an auction on ebay for the Mackerras/Scottish Chamber Orchestra Beethoven cycle - 5 cds described as 'like new'. Understandably I have yet to take delivery to check condition but I'm looking forward to see if my investment of '£0.80 inclusive of P&P' has proved worthwhile!
I have not made an error in my typing of the price - I couldn't believe my luck.

G

·
Another recording of Lalo's music, this collection seemed ideal since it has orchestral works I am interested in and avoids the war horses that I already have (Symphony Espagnol, Cello Concerto) and concertante works for Violin, which don't particularly interest me.

And a lossless download from Presto, Ruth Crawford Seeger (a collection which avoids vocal works).

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
On Saturday I was fortunate enough to win an auction on ebay for the Mackerras/Scottish Chamber Orchestra Beethoven cycle - 5 cds described as 'like new'. Understandably I have yet to take delivery to check condition but I'm looking forward to see if my investment of '£0.80 inclusive of P&P' has proved worthwhile!
I have not made an error in my typing of the price - I couldn't believe my luck.

Fantastic! Well done!

I've been on the lookout for a reasonably priced set, but nothing's come up yet - I never think to look on eBay.

A little while ago Sixfootscowl nudged me in that direction to keep an eye ot for a Sawallisch Ring and I won the bid at £10.

Good job I didn't get into a bidding war with you on the Mackerras set - given the price willing to pay, you and I display in general, the price could have ended up at £2.50!!!

Reactions: Granate and vincula

·
Registered
766 Posts
A pity Brexit has spoiled all my purchases coming from the UK, which was my preferred market when buying music. Import duties are ridiculous and make any purchase unviable. You still got the best prices and great music retailers there!

Regards,

Vincula

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
A pity Brexit has spoiled all my purchases coming from the UK, which was my preferred market when buying music. Import duties are ridiculous and make any purchase unviable. You still got the best prices and great music retailers there!

Regards,

Vincula
Yes, it's spoilt one or two of my possible purchases in the last two years - but a small price to pay for political and economic freedom :D

·
Registered
33,248 Posts

Regards,

Vincula
See the Presto websites, seems there is something changed.

·
Registered
33,248 Posts

Dvořák's Prophecy: Film 3
The Souls of Black Folk' and the Vexed Fate of Black Classical Music

Dvořák's Prophecy: Film 5
Beyond Psycho - The Musical Genius of Bernard Hermann

Finally the last two from a interesting series.

G

·
Rounding out my small collection of recordings of Lalo orchestral works works.

There is a string quartet, and I have some notion of getting a recording of that piece at some point.

·
Registered
33,248 Posts

Otto Klemperer conducts the Concertgebouw Orchestra - Legendary Amsterdam Concerts 1947-1961

Bach, J S: Cantata BWV202 'Weichet Nur, betrübte Schatten' (Wedding Cantata)
Bach, J S: Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B minor, BWV1067
Bartók: Viola Concerto, BB 128, Sz. 120
Beethoven: Ah! Perfido, Op. 65
Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 3, Op. 72b
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis in D major, Op. 123
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37
Beethoven: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 36
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 'Eroica'
Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B flat major, Op. 60
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67
Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 'Pastoral'
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92
Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 in F major, Op. 93
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 'Choral'
Beethoven: The Creatures of Prometheus, Op. 43: excerpts
Brahms: Variations on a theme by Haydn for orchestra, Op. 56a 'St Anthony Variations'
Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 in Eb Major 'Romantic'
Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 in A major
Falla: Noches en los jardines de España
Gluck: Orfeo ed Euridice: Chaconne
Henkemans: Flute Concerto
Hindemith: Nobilissima Visione
Janáček: Sinfonietta
Klemperer: Symphony No. 1
Mahler: Kindertotenlieder
Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
Mahler: Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'
Mahler: Symphony No. 4
Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream - incidental music, Op. 61
Mendelssohn: Hebrides Overture, Op. 26
Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
Mozart: Ch'io mi scordi di te?... Non temer, amato bene, K505
Mozart: Don Giovanni, K527: Overture
Mozart: Exsultate, jubilate, K165
Mozart: Masonic Funeral Music in C minor, K477
Mozart: Oboe Concerto In C major, K314
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 22 in E flat major, K482
Mozart: Serenade No. 13 in G major, K525 'Eine kleine Nachtmusik'
Mozart: Symphony No. 25 in G minor, K183
Mozart: Symphony No. 29 in A major, K201
Mozart: Symphony No. 41 in C major, K551 'Jupiter'
Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K219 'Turkish'
Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht, Op. 4
Schubert: Symphony No. 4 in C minor, D417 'Tragic'
Strauss, R: Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28
Stravinsky: Symphony in 3 movements
Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Overture

Belated Christmas present .

·
Registered
475 Posts
No pics, because the post would be huge. The latest haul:

CD:

A Baroque Tribute To RUSH

Wiener Sängerknaben - Mozart: Requiem/Ave Verum - Bruckner: Motetten (features Max Emanuel Cenčić, soprano)
Claudio Abbado - Mahler: Symphony #4 - Berg: 7 Early Songs
Franz Xaver Schnizer - Missa C-dur - Tölzer Knabenchor
Wiener Sängerknaben - Sacred Choral Music 7 CD box (Händel: Messias - Bach: Kantata BWV21 - Haydn: The Creation - Mozart: Coronation Mass/Requiem - Bruckner: Motets - WSK - Christmas Songs)
Haydn - Die Schöpfung (The Creation) - Wiener Sängerknaben - Chorus Viennensis - Symphonieorchester der Wiener Volksoper - Peter Marschik
Gluck - Orfeo Ed Euridice - Nancy Argenta - Michael Chance - Stefan Bechenbauer (soloist of the Tölzer Knabenchor)

Vinyl:

Händel - Dettinger Te Deum - Trierer Sängerknaben/Städtischesorchester Trier
Haydn - Missa G-Dur - Solisten und Kammerchor der Augsburger Domsingknaben
Mozart - Missa C-moll K. 139 - Knabenchor Hannover - Soprano: Sebastien Hennig - Conductor: Heinz Hennig
Pergolesi: Missa Romana - Escolania Montserrat/Tölzer Knabenchor

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
One of my final Paul Hindemith gaps (hopefully) plugged at long, long last thanks to a dramatic and quite unexpected drop in price for a used copy...as I'd been waiting to pounce for well over a decade it was now or possibly never. That said, I've only placed the order today so until it actually gets pushed through the letterbox it's not a done deal quite yet!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I stumbled upon this album in my local record shop and snapped it up. Absolutely mint copy.

Musical instrument Coat Keyboard Pianist Musician

I'm partial to H. Kegel's conducting. I do believe he's underrated, probably because he didn't get as much exposure to Western audiences and labels. Unfortunately he committed suicide not long after the wall had fallen, so we'll never know how his career might have developed afterwards.

Regards,

Vincula

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Art Painting Fish Illustration Mythology

Font Material property Parallel Document Screenshot

Banifazio Graziani(1604-1664)

Cantatas Op.25
Consortium Carissimi, direction: Garrick Comeaux

This is a collection of moral and sacred cantatas in italian language, probably can be considered as "cantate spirituali" too, they are certainly a successor to those of the "madrigali spirituali" genre. Bonifazio Graziani was one of the most important composers of the roman school of the early 17th century, also a contemporary to Giacomo Carissimi(1605-1674). Stylistically, Graziani is a bit more conservative than Carissimi in terms of these works, lacking much declamatory passages, but quite qualitatively dense. The solid quality of the roman school can be heard here, very very uniquely interesting collection of early cantatas so far, but a little more in the fashionable background of Carissimi`s later works.

Reactions: eljr

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I just bought the scores of Sibelius Symphonies 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7!

Might sound silly but I love to read scores and play the music in my head, kind of like a conductor. (One of the benefits of having studied music since childhood.)

Pohjolas´s Daughter and Rite of Spring have been my favourite good night sleep reading scores so far.

Now I can relax with the 7th Symphony Adagio. What a thought!
Have been enjoying one of the scores above every night since they arrived. There has been a lot to learn from each score, but admittedly for some reason I had no idea what the score of the 4th Symphony would look like. It is very chamber music like -- except for the finale which is even more complex once you see the score.

Even in the 7th Symphony -- which I thought I knew thoroughly in all it´s seeming transparency -- there is plenty of stuff I have "heard incorrectly" for 25 years. Quite unbelievably mind opening to see all these things that happen beneath the surface.

Back to the topic: just letting you guys know that I ordered the scores of Mahler Symphonies 5 and 6 last night! It will be absolutely thrilling to go through the scores.

15601 - 15620 of 15769 Posts