Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been really into lieder lately and I'm wondering what suggestions you guys would make on what are some great lieder. I already know the obvious ones like Schubert, Schumann, Brahms and Wolf, what are some other lieder you guys would recommend? Any language is fine with me, I'm not picky. :cool:

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Mahler's song cycles Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen and Kindertotenlieder are among my favorites.
Best song cycle ever!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Agree about Mahler's song cycles. Don't forget the songs from Das Knaben Wunderhorn.

Also, Grieg's lieder are superb, especially his Haugtussa. Not only are the songs strikingly beautiful, but the poetry is amazing.

Of his other songs, the most famous are, Vaaren op. 33 no. 2, Ved Rundarne/Ved Rondane op. 33 no. 9, Det første Møde op. 21 no. 1, Fra Monte Pincio op. 39 no. 1, Jeg elsker dig op. 5 no. 3.

G

·
I believe that Mozart even has some Lieder, although I have not heard them.

Other composers of Lieder that I have enjoyed - Richard Strauss and Samuel Barber.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hi - here are a few suggestions for song cycles outside of the Austro-German repertoire.

Moussorgsky: The Nursery, Sunless, Songs & Dances of Death.
Shostakovich: Six Poems of Marina Tsvetayeva.
Faure: Mirages.
Copland: 12 Poems of Emily Dickinson.

Reactions: jalex

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi - here are a few suggestions for song cycles outside of the Austro-German repertoire.

Moussorgsky: The Nursery, Sunless, Songs & Dances of Death.
Shostakovich: Six Poems of Marina Tsvetayeva.
Faure: Mirages.
Copland: 12 Poems of Emily Dickinson.
Totally seconded. I heard it last year in the Louvre concert hall. It was magical.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Three Poems of James Joyce by Samuel Barber

Here are three songs by Samuel Barber on poems by James Joyce sung by Gerald Finley with Julius Drake on piano.

Since they are not written in German they may not technically Lieder, but they are great art songs and well worth a listen in my opinion.

Rob

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here is a lovely cycle of four songs by Gabriel Faure titled "L'Horizon chimerique" which is not often heard; carrying in it the mood of the ocean. It is sung by the great French Baritone Gerard Souzay.

Rob

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Carl Löwe (Loewe) was a real master of the genre, one of the best lieder composers after Schubert (he had also a rather tragic life like him). His most recommended lieder: Edward, Erlkönig, Tom der Reimer and his best cycle Liederkreis nach Gedichten von Friedrich Ruckert.

Mendelssohn also wrote beautuful lieder (Auf flügeln des gesanges is just a little but famous one)

from the late german romantic school :

Richard Strauss : Vier letzte Lieder.

Then Grieg's songs are really superb, most of them I've heard are magnificant ... Especially his famous cycle Op.67 (Haugtussa)

and don't ever forget Debussy and Ravel with their Chansons !

Their best cycles :

Debussy : Ariettes oubliées, Chansons de Bilitis, Fêtes galantes, Ballades de François Villon

Ravel : Histoires naturelles, Poèmes de Stéphane Mallarmé, Chansons madécasses, Don Quichotte à Dulcinée

Delius has also composed many songs, some are really beautiful, inspired by Grieg. Besides, Frank Bridge is an English composer whose songs usually described worthy, but I have not heard a single note from them and can not recommend them personally, as well as my favorite composer Sibelius, I'm sure the great maestro has done it great but can not make any recommendation yet.

·
Registered
578 Posts
While these are two by Wolf and Schubert; the first is to me one of the most beautiful recordings and one rarely heard

and an uncommon lied by Schubert sung by "the world's greatest second tenor", (no disrespect intended to a great artist)

Rob

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't think anyone mentioned the RStrauss Four Last Songs - (Soprano and orchestra) - maybe they're not considered lieder, but deeply beautiful, they are. I have 4 recordings: Elizabeth Schwarzkopf, Heather Harper, Lucia Popp, and Jessye Norman (wonderful tempos) performing them. I believe they are Strauss's greatest achievement in song. I take personal responsibility if you don't fall into despair over their beauty. (Don't mean to presume you don't know or haven't played these!)

Not really a set, the order of the four is not always exactly the same, but this song Im Abendrot is always sung last. Nobody sings it this slowly, and for me it is beyond perfect - many will disagree. Put on your earphones!

I have been really into lieder lately and I'm wondering what suggestions you guys would make on what are some great lieder. I already know the obvious ones like Schubert, Schumann, Brahms and Wolf, what are some other lieder you guys would recommend? Any language is fine with me, I'm not picky. :cool:

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Alexander von Zemlinsky - Und kehrt er einst heim

Und kehrt er einst heim,
was sag ich ihm dann?
Sag, ich hätte geharrt,
bis das Leben verrann.

Wenn er weiter fragt
und erkennt mich nicht gleich?
Sprich als Schwester zu ihm;
er leidet vielleicht.