Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
G

·
Here are a couple that are off the beaten path but are incredibly enjoyable:

and:

Fantastic music for relaxing, getting drunk, falling in love, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been really into lieder lately and I'm wondering what suggestions you guys would make on what are some great lieder. I already know the obvious ones like Schubert, Schumann, Brahms and Wolf, what are some other lieder you guys would recommend? Any language is fine with me, I'm not picky. :cool:
One of the most overlooked: Robert Franz....

[
[/video]

There we go....

·
Senior Member (Ret)
4,636 Posts
I believe that Mozart even has some Lieder, although I have not heard them.

Other composers of Lieder that I have enjoyed - Richard Strauss and Samuel Barber.
How can Barber have written Lieder ? Lieder is GERMAN art song.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Technically you are correct but with the dumbing down of the English Language it seems to have become a general term for all Art Song. No matter, the songs of Barber and Copland are excellent. And then there are those by British composers such as Britten, Finzi, Vaughan Williams, etc., etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,591 Posts
Webern wrote some interesting ones.

·
Registered
105 Posts
View attachment 3172

Claudette Leblanc, Debussy, Unicorn-Kanchana.

This one with Debussy Melodies has been enchanting, I would rank it in a Top-5. Very varied works, that can be heard and explored again and again, reminding also of those mysterious Debussy piano works.
This enchanting artist has also recorded some gorgeous French songs written by Andre Caplet, in the vein of Debussy.
Plant Flower Botany Paint Organism

Faure is a master of the French art song. This version of his famous cycle La Bonne Chanson made by Peter Pears with Britten at the piano is one of the best I've ever heard, even though Pears does not sound entirely French. It is a white hot cycle about happiness and being in love.
Water resources Plant community Ecoregion Plant Natural landscape

And then there is Poulenc, whose output of songs have been extensively recorded. There is a complete edition from Decca. The British soprano Felicity Lott, a participant in the complete set, has also recorded a well-filled recital disc with her regular concert partner Graham Johnson. Better still if you could find her teacher, Pierre Bernac's legendary recordings with Poulenc himself at the piano!
Purple Publication Smile Font Formal wear
Musical instrument Font Music Musical instrument accessory Photo caption

Two years ago, I wrote a post on Henri Duparc who commands greatness with only 17 songs to his credit (which is, BTW, the only post I am still proud of since I joined the forum, though not without mistakes). I love his songs very dearly and have performed one in public as an amateur (another thing to be proud of :)). He is simply a must for every French song enthusiast.
http://www.talkclassical.com/7035-henri-duparc.html

·
Registered
372 Posts
Carl Löwe (Loewe) was a real master of the genre, one of the best lieder composers after Schubert (he had also a rather tragic life like him). His most recommended lieder: Edward, Erlkönig, Tom der Reimer and his best cycle Liederkreis nach Gedichten von Friedrich Ruckert.

Mendelssohn also wrote beautuful lieder (Auf flügeln des gesanges is just a little but famous one)

from the late german romantic school :

Richard Strauss : Vier letzte Lieder.

Then Grieg's songs are really superb, most of them I've heard are magnificant ... Especially his famous cycle Op.67 (Haugtussa)

and don't ever forget Debussy and Ravel with their Chansons !

Their best cycles :

Debussy : Ariettes oubliées, Chansons de Bilitis, Fêtes galantes, Ballades de François Villon

Ravel : Histoires naturelles, Poèmes de Stéphane Mallarmé, Chansons madécasses, Don Quichotte à Dulcinée

Delius has also composed many songs, some are really beautiful, inspired by Grieg. Besides, Frank Bridge is an English composer whose songs usually described worthy, but I have not heard a single note from them and can not recommend them personally, as well as my favorite composer Sibelius, I'm sure the great maestro has done it great but can not make any recommendation yet.
Yes to this! I can't get enough of Regine Crespin singing these chansons

21 - 40 of 67 Posts