Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996D, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

The site won't let me post on the Composer's of today forum, so here it goes.

http://davidmack.ca

Enjoy and good night.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
I thouight this was going to be about Henry Litolff

1996D, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Enjoy and good night.
Don't forget that in The Republic, Plato's ideal vision of a state is pastoral in Book 2

They will feed on barley-meal and flour of wheat, baking and kneading them, making noble cakes and loaves; these they will serve up on a mat of reeds or on clean leaves, themselves reclining the while upon beds strewn with yew or myrtle. And they and their children will feast, drinking of the wine which they have made, wearing garlands on their heads, and hymning the praises of the gods, in happy converse with one another.
and this was rejected by Glaucon on the grounds that it only took care of basic needs. Glaucon wants a society in which you can live a luxurious life.

I hope your music will reflect this tension between Socrates's real desires (or rather Plato's Socrates) and the republic he proposes to his interlocutors.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Is 99 cents too much for a MIDI of the music of the future? In case you're not up to it, it was a pastiche of Mahler or Bruckner. Imagine the interweaving they did with different parts of the orchestra without the unity and coherence of a real theme. The strings come and go. The counterpoint was not done well. No technique. If I didn't pay, I would probably be more kind. I'm glad I only got suckered into paying for the prelude. I'll be skipping on the rest.

·
Registered
699 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Given his comments in here we couldn't have expected more. To riff off a Brahms quote:

Where did he get such a good website? :D

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
So has all the talk been a marketing ploy? It would have been very easy to share it via a sharing site as we do with blind comparisons. But putting it up for sale seems cheeky after telling us so much about how great it is going to be. The 30 second intro reminded me of the sort of atmospheric stuff that some rock bands would play just before they come out on stage.

·
Registered
19,686 Posts
Is 99 cents too much for a MIDI of the music of the future? In case you're not up to it, it was a pastiche of Mahler or Bruckner. Imagine the interweaving they did with different parts of the orchestra without the unity and coherence of a real theme. The strings come and go. The counterpoint was not done well. No technique. If I didn't pay, I would probably be more kind. I'm glad I only got suckered into paying for the prelude. I'll be skipping on the rest.
Eternal thanks to you for sacrificing 99 pennies to save the rest of us.

After weeks of keen anticipation, expecting finally to hear the music that will impeach Trump and cure the coronavirus, I feel as if I've been watching one of those long, rambling videos by some nutrition guru who promises to reveal the secret to perfect health, at the end of which I'm offered a bottle of supplements containing only the finest lab-tested ingredients, offered for a limited time only at $179.99/month.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
We have to pay for it?
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed. I actually somewhat enjoyed the 30 seconds that I heard, but not enough to pay (or disclose information to a sketchy website) for a midi performance of a new work by a composer I'd never heard of before. Oh well, given his previous history on TC, I suppose this was to be expected...

·
Registered
19,686 Posts
Seriously, now...

1996D is either extraordinarily naive or trying to put something over on us. It's hard to imagine anyone being so unsophisticated as to expect anyone to turn over financial information to hear a brief sample of the music of a completely unknown composer who comes recommended by no one but himself. Throwing out a few seconds of free music as bait isn't even as generous as the food booths at supermarkets where they tempt you with a glob of your local creamery's new artisanal goat cheese on a cracker. In that case we get at least enough of a taste to determine whether we like it. Here we're asked to take the time to read a dialogue from Plato for reasons by no means clear, and as a reward for our effort are given, not a piece of music, but an attempt to sell one to us. Is it really too much to ask that we be allowed to hear five minutes of music for free as an introduction to a composer's work?

A new composer who wants the world's attention can't expect it as a matter of right, and has to be prepared to give something initially to establish good faith with his audience.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

Enjoy and good night.
I'm being captain obvious here but if you had shown some modesty regarding Bruckner and your own music AND if you had made your music available for free, you might have had some actual listeners and constructive criticism from the members of this forum. Now look what happened...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.