Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these the greatest works of late 20th century solo piano literature or what?

Really I have no idea. But they're still pretty neat.

What are some good recordings that people would recommend I've just been flicking through live performances on Youtube? :)

·
Registered
4,777 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Did he record the complete cycle? Last time I was looking for it on spotify I coulnd't find it
Yes. The first two books and the first étude from the third book ("White on White") are in the the third disc of Sony's György Ligeti Edition - Works for Piano (Etudes, Musica Ricercata).
The disc was recorded in 1997, so Ligeti was still composing the third book at that time. He finished it in 2001.
Aimard recorded the rest of the third book (three remaining études) in the disc African Rhythms: Ligeti - Reich, which also contains pieces by Reich and traditional music of the Aka Pygmies from Africa (which were an influence for Ligeti when composing the études).

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have both... and DG's Clear and Cloudy ;) (great, if not the best out there, Abbado performances of Atmospheres and Lontano).
Yeah, should have included that too!

I always find myself drawn to the Teldec discs, mainly based on sonics I guess. It's like Varese - there is no clear master of his music, but rather distinctive glances. And yes, the Atmospheres with Abbado has me scratching my head as in how is this guy this diverse?

G

·
Frederick Ullen's set on BIS (BIS-CD-1683/84) is very good, too. It's the complete works, not just the Etudes. I've read very good reviews of Thomas Hell's new set on Wergo.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cathy Krier released an album this year that has all three books. Aimard is the only complete set I have (heard Denk years ago but can't recall what I thought of it), I think I'll have to hear hers a few more times to see what I think of it.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Any Ligeti fanatic that doesn't own BOTH COMPLETE Ligeti Editions and The Ligeti Project is completely insane! Insane! Aimard? He's on there don'tcha' know?
I didn't know that there are TWO Ligeti editions. I have Ligeti Edition that is on Sony and is red. Clear Or Cloudy on DG and The Ligeti Project on Teldec. Am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts