Classical Music Forum banner

Ligeti or Stockhausen?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

György Ligeti - A true genius of the 20th century and one of my very favorites. Since I have no musical training I can't say whether or not he shares any significant stylistic similarities with Bartók, but I feel that their work does share some emotional / spiritual semblance: death, decay and of course, humour.

K. Stockhausen - Another modern (if flawed) titan. I am in awe of much of his œuvre but don't necessarily connect with it on a personal level. That being said, his influence on contemporary music is infinite.

Who do YOU prefer and WHY?

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Reactions: isorhythm
G

·
Tough one. Ligeti enjoys more popularity here, and seemed to write masterpiece after masterpiece. And then we have Stockhausen, who could generate 7 hours of music with a week of writing texts followed by a recording session or 29 hours of music with strict unifying ideas.

I voted for Stockhausen, but it's fairly close for me. But hey, Karlheinz will need help to balance out Gyorgy's popularity here.

· Registered
8,950 Posts
Ligeti's best works I think are a little better than Stockhausen's best works, but there is a lot more variety in Stockhausen's oeuvre, and a little more "color". I admire Stockhausen's ambition and creative drive.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
I couldn't vote for both of them :(.

· Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sometimes wonder if Stockhausen became over-reliant on technology as he aged. Sizable portions of the Licht cycle sound as if he was far more interested in playing with his synthesizers than he was with actual composing.

G

·
I sometimes wonder if Stockhausen became over-reliant on technology as he aged. Sizable portions of the Licht cycle sound as if he was far more interested in playing with his synthesizers than he was with actual composing.
Given his liking for intuitive discovery, this might actually be partially true :lol:

· Registered
8,030 Posts
I like them both, but I am less familiar with Stockhausen, having only recently acquired Kontra-Punkte / Ensemble Recherche (2010) on Wergo. It's an album of very moving works, but I agree with Morimur and MoonlightSonata. For me it cannot compare to the Requiem, and to that I would add Clocks and Clouds, Lux Aeterna, Lontano and the Ligeti Violin Concerto.

On a side note I am still astonished you pronounce Ligeti's given name as we in the US pronounce "George." That's pretty prosaic for someone so imaginative.

· Registered
1,778 Posts
I voted for Ligeti.

That being said, I think that both composers have their strong points. Ligeti, however, appeals to me because of his brilliant use of polyphony and tone color to create structure. Some of his works, such as Atmospheres, are soft and "impressionistic" - to use the term. Other works are more "pointillistic" in character. Ligeti's music greatly varies in shape and color, yet he always has a strong sense of energy and beauty and always manages to find the right balance between the two.

I find his violin concerto fascinating and brilliant. The Requiem is certainly powerful and gripping. Stockhausen's electronic music, in particular, I find interesting, but I haven't gotten around to exploring much of his other work.

· Registered
132 Posts
Ligeti is one of my favorite composers.

There some things I like by Stockhausen. I like gruppen, kontakte and especially gesang der jünglinge. I don't really like his long electronic and vocal pieces very much. I feel like gesang der jünglinge said all that needed to be said and the longer pieces said more of the same.

I will say that Stockhausen seems like a very ambitious composer, a bit like a Wagner of his time.

· Registered
4,977 Posts
I voted Ligeti.

While I discovered both composers at almost exactly the same time (the same evening, even, since a friend had both the soundtrack for 2001: A Space Odyssey and Opus 1970: Stockhoven Beethausen), it was Stockhausen who captured me by far the strongest (but certainly not to the exclusion of the other) for many years. It was only as I got into my 30s, that my attraction to the bizarreness of Stockhausen waned and my love of Ligeti's works increased. Today, Ligeti is a major figure in my hearem, while Stockhausen is represented by his (slightly) tamer works (partly due to the unavailability of his many old DG albums, it should be noted).

· Banned
9,050 Posts
I voted Ligeti, who wrote works that were more accessible and less experimental than Stockhausen. I would also expect Ligeti to take a significant lead.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.