Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
That depends, if I study works, composers or am just in music mood, I fully concentrate on it, with nothing doing around. But if I e.g. relax online, I often listen music in the background.

What about you, George? And welcome in the forum! :D

Daniel

·
Registered
223 Posts
...I sometimes listen while I'm working...depending on how hard I have to focus...and I like listening just before bed...esp. if I have a score to follow (one of my favourite things in the world to do!)...and I sometimes listen while driving...

...unfortunatley my truck only has a tape deck and most of my classical music is on CDs...and I don't listen to enough music while driving to justify buying a CD player for my truck, unless I can find a very cheap one...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Daniel@Jan 4 2005, 11:23 AM
That depends, if I study works, composers or am just in music mood, I fully concentrate on it, with nothing doing around. But if I e.g. relax online, I often listen music in the background.

What about you, George? And welcome in the forum! :D

Daniel
[snapback]2987[/snapback]​
Actually I'm just like you, I listen while I'm surfing somethimes but mainly I listen while I'm programming. It makes me feel all creative and stuff :)

As for cheap CD players, there are a few gems on eBay.

·
Registered
132 Posts
relaxing

I'd say; light peices I listen to lightly, heavy peices I don't. It all depends on the mood I'm in and the composer. If I take it seriously I lie down in on my bed in the dark, focusing on the music intently. If it's light, I just listen anywhere I want. I don't like background noise when I'm writing though.
godzilla

·
Registered
24 Posts
i walk around the room like a moron. just back and forth. music usually makes me want to get up and move. if im really tired i might lay down on my bed and look at the ceiling.
strange, i know. heh

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lay in your bed with lights off, dark, with headphones listening to music, an awesome impression!
Yes, I agree! You forget everything else, and when the music is over, you don't know where you are. I often experienced that.

For me, it depends on the music. If the music is complex and demanding, I have to concentrate fully and cannot do anything else (with the exception of reading the score, if available). If the music is less demanding, I'm able to do other things when listening.

·
Registered
706 Posts
As for light and heavy music, I used to do my maths homework to Bruckner's 9th (loud). Although it does act quite distracting, I daresay it rather fits the science mentioned. :D

Usually I do something while listening, and most often it's either tidying up my room or reading. Then, after reading a book with certain music in the background, I often link inseparably the music with the book and vice versa. I remember the plot when I hear the music again.

But I agree, music in the dark, lying on your bed, and nothing else - that's the best way.

G

·
I have a pretty good set of computer speakers in my room where I just lay on my bed and listen but I listen to most of my music in the car. Even with the terrible busted speakers I will really get into some stuff. If im listening to Tchaikovsky I will generally be violently conducting an "air orchestra" which makes me look absolutely crazy but it is rare to find music that makes you sweat so you might as well enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If im listening to Tchaikovsky I will generally be violently conducting an "air orchestra" which makes me look absolutely crazy but it is rare to find music that makes you sweat so you might as well enjoy it.
I am an air violin player. :D I try to play Tchaikovsky, but I usually don't keep pace with Mr.Perlman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know if I have a standard set of listening activities for the simple reason that I listen to music everywhere. When I'm driving, working, writing, resting etc. Only the kinds of music differs. When I'm driving, I try to not listen to heavy classical pieces because I tend to get "transported", when I do. Listening to Mahler or Bach, for example, could be foolhardy! When I write, I tend to listen to a lot of "Impressionists".

But yes, the best way to listen to music is in the dark, or staring at the ceiling, focused completely on the music and where it's transporting you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.