Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After I consolidated all of my 800+ cd's last year, I misplaced one of my favorites:
"Chants Mystique: Hidden Treasures of a Living Tradition." Yesterday, I found the cd in a mislabeled spot. Since then, I have tremendously enjoyed hearing those incantatory cantor/chorus chants once more--from the poignant to the piquant. Much of the music resembles Gregorian Chants. I wonder who imitated whom?

· Registered
453 Posts
As Christianity is a breakaway Jewish sect, I imagine they inherited some of the cultural baggage as well.

I listened to the CD you mentioned on-line (extracts anyway), it's beautiful music. I particularly like Psalm 114, Halleluyah (Psalm 146) and Vayhi Binso'a Ho'oron, Sabbath morning liturgy. They sound very much like Eastern Orthodox chants. I shall Buy this CD.

By way of an example, listen to the Kiev Chamber Choir singing 'Bless the Lord, O My Soul' and tell me if you agree.

Shalom
Metairie Road

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Gorgeous chanting for sure. Our Jewish and Christian roots are indeed entangled. Shalom Aleichem from Schlemo
The same could easily be said of this one...

Come into my garden: Song of songs

Sensual and Spiritual Settings of the Biblical Text.
Medieval Hebrew cantillations and Latin chants beautifully performed by the female vocal ensemble Tapestry.

Aleichem Shalom from Biwa

Human body Gesture Publication Font Book

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.