Classical Music Forum banner

Louise Farrenc

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Enthusiast 
#1 ·
Louise Farrenc is one of the most underrated composers. She composed symphonies, overtures, and more. You should really check her out.

#4 ·
She and her husband were also among the earliest of early music enthusiasts. In 1861 they published a collection in twenty volumes named “Le Trésor des Pianistes” in the hope of reviving the harpsichord and virginal repertory of the 17th and 18th centuries. In addition to her work as editor and publisher, Louise also brought this music alive by giving a series of séances historiques, in which she and her students performed the works of Rameau, Purcell, Muffat, Kuhnau, Frescobaldi, Froberger, and other neglected composers.

#6 ·
Louise Farrenc was one of my earliest classical music purchases when I got into it seriously a bit over a year ago. It was a disc of her 1st and 3rd symphonies, and I actually like the 1st better than the 3rd. I've listened to a fair bit of her chamber music through my google play music subscription and like much of that too.

#11 ·
Karin Hendel and Ewa Warykiewicz recorded the second sonata by Louise Farrenc
allmusic.com
With the fantastically delicate interpretation and world's best bow technique.

The CD contains works by underrated female composers. It includes also Pauline Viardot, Lili Boulanger and Elfrida Andrée.
If you don't know them, this is the perfect opportunity to discover them all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.