Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
and the López Cobos recording? Caballé and Carreras.

This recording is very special: López Cobos revised the original score and the traditional Lucia dissapeared!

Transpositions were hailed and rejected by many critics. Read this article:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/donizetti-lucia-di-lammermoor-9
I pretty much agree with the Gramophone review. This set is not really comparable to all the other sets I've heard with their downward transpositions of Lucia's arias to accomodate all the extra embellishments and high notes we usually hear. I don't think it could ever be conisdered a sole recommendation, though it's certainly worth having as an adjunct to one of the Callas or Sutherland recordings. I think Carreras is it's greatest glory. The role was absolutely perfect for him at that stage in his career and he is in splendid voice.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It is indeed "horrendously cut", maybe even moreso than those above, but the Tansini recording with Pagliughi and Malipiero is a winner in my book.
Actually, I don't think this is any more cut than the Callas records, maybe a couple of minutes somewhere, but tempos are noticeably faster so the play time is a little less. A really wonderful recording by the way.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts