Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,952 Posts
After Bach (ignoring the debate over the instrument for which he composed), I like Weiss. I have a box set by Cardin from Brilliant, but I slightly prefer Barto on Naxos. I have the first three volumes and listen to the rest on Tidal. I also have individual albums by several other performers.

I love Scarlatti on guitar, especially the album made by Narciso Yepes.

· Registered
3,952 Posts
I love the Peter Pears/Julian Bream collaborations on Dowland. Those records (back in the day) inspired me to pick up the lute. And since I'm fond of a good song, Dowland has always gotten the nod as my favorite lute composer. I mean, he writes good songs, he's the "Eric Clapton" of his day on the lute......and he does all of this while working for MI5. :D
One of the odder discs in my collection is Jakob Lindberg playing the complete Dowland lute music - on one disc. It's a single layer/stereo only SACD that runs more than 4 hours.

Of course, after I bought it, Brilliant released a 4 disc set of the same performances for less than the SACD. And as I'm almost certain the Lindberg disc is upsampled redbook - I think the liner notes say so - I would have saved money had I purchased the set.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.