Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
7,842 Posts
I have number of Mahler sets supplemented by numerous individual discs. As others have stated there is no set that gets everything right so why buy full sets - because at times it was cheaper to buy a box of all the symphonies than the two or three individual recordings I was after.
My sets: Bernstein (Sony & DG), Chailly, Boulez, Rattle, Tennstedt, Abbado (DG), Sinopoli, Levine, Bertini, Gielen, Kubelik, Stenz (a set I took a chance on buying when it was described as acceptable I bought the 13 discs for £5.53 including delivery - the discs are like new but the box needed a little TLC).
I'd really struggle to name favourite sets because none is perfect but over the last year or so, Boulez, Levine and Bernstein (Sony) have been played most frequently - but that will change as time passes.
With regard to the incomplete Levine I have supplemented the set with the live second from Vienna which I enjoy:

I haven't bothered looking for an 8th as I rarely play that symphony.

I am tempted by Maazel's late Philharmonia set which has what many would consider 'glacial' tempos but from what I've sampled I find his vision interesting and worth considering - why have another set that just sounds the same as the rest.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts