Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
That Odyssey LP release was my first 9th. Fine as it is, it's unfortunate that the orchestra was a pick-up group with a smaller string section than the norm. There's nothing wrong with the playing; obviously they hired top-tier players who could put the recording down without too much rehearsal. It's just too bad that they didn't use the great full-sized orchestras that Columbia was recording with at the time: New York, Cleveland, Philadelphia. When I was in college there was a fine classical music summer festival and there were performers who were the regulars; one lady, a violinist, made all of those LA-based recordings with Walter. She was a fascinating fount of stories about the Hollywood musicians she knew: Walter, Heifetz, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Alma Mahler, Klemperer and others. Of course I was too young, arrogant and stupid too realize what a treasure she was. Every time I listen to any of those Walter recordings I think of Eudice. I wonder if she realized she was part of music history?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts