Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Cellist volunteered that their repertoire includes modern music so this isn't just about the repertoire. The board states diversity is integral to their new mission.

Performers of color (Andre Watts in the mid-20th century and George Bridgetower in the early 19th century - just 2 examples of many gifted contributors of "color" - not to mention the many accomplished female performers in the 20th century alone) - became respected icons and some legendary - without the special 'support or advantage' that drives decision-making and hiring at every level.

Many of the dead white guys, particularly of the earlier periods, were denied support or advantage. They arose from humble beginnings. Letters of introduction may have opened doors for them - but their achievements and fame were products of their innate gifts, hard work, and perseverance.

Reactions: Varick

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
Given the wording of "The organization will no longer serve as a full-time employer of performing artists", I have a suspicion that this is one of those budget-cutting moves that they dressed up in the language of egalitarianism to make it seem like they're doing the world a favor.
The fact that a) they didn't replace them with performers who were willing to perform a wider range of repertoire and b) they were clear that they didn't want to have full-time musicians in general is what raised my eyes.
The practice of creating what’s basically a shell company which employs people on contracts or for single gigs isn’t without precedent in the classical music industry. This sort of flexibility in hiring obviously benefits the employer more than the employee.

In these times of Covid, when we’re basically facing a global recession, this decision is somewhat understandable. The board might be trying to ensure the company survives in the tough times ahead. In the USA in particular, the classical industry has proven vulnerable to downturns in the economy. A shell company is a way of ensuring that a company can be flexible and respond to economic changes, its attractive because it guarantees low overheads.

Reading the article, I can’t see how the issue of apparent need to change repertoire is related to the casualisation of the company. I think it might be a case of people being quoted out of context in order to hype up the story. Beethoven and Schubert are highly unlikely to disappear from chamber music programs. Prima facie, that’s ridiculous. Affirmative action has been going on in the USA for about fifty years. That’s no big deal either.

It looks like there has been a communication breakdown. There appears to be no love lost between the participants, which is obviously serious since legal action is mentioned as a possibility.

·
Read Only
2,024 Posts
Many of the dead white guys, particularly of the earlier periods, were denied support or advantage. They arose from humble beginnings. Letters of introduction may have opened doors for them - but their achievements and fame were products of their innate gifts, hard work, and perseverance.
Well my complaint would be that if you think the "dead white European male composer" represents outmoded at best or downright evil at worst, then make the break clean. Don't piggyback on that culture while condemning it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well my complaint would be that if you think the "dead white European male composer" represents outmoded at best or downright evil at worst,
Nothing could be further from the truth

21 - 24 of 24 Posts