Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Remastered and repackaged. :)
Original jacket.

·
Banned
9,315 Posts
Some people think it's weird to collect many recordings of one opera, but what can you say about people who are ready to collect multiple releases/remasterings of same recordings?
-- well, they're obviously 'sick'. . . of mediocrity, of un-drama, and of less-than-thrilling singing.

We should be so lucky. Gratz, Amazon.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am watching that to see where the price settles in after release date, also they do mention a new remaster which is first boxset to offer that, even the recent super deluxe boxset used older remasters

I read Warner did the remastering like was done on the new Karajan releases.

I might have to spring for this issue.:)

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/in...book&utm_medium=feature&utm_campaign=facebook

This may just be a "must buy". Not listed on the UK amazon site yet though. I wonder if it's being released for the European market.
That sounds very promising, perhaps they will actually "improve" the sound and not just increase loudness and thus overload distortion at peaks......

Still will be very hard to surpass Andrew Rose's Pristine XR remasters with ambient stereo for Callas.......

·
Banned
9,315 Posts
That sounds very promising, perhaps they will actually "improve" the sound and not just increase loudness and thus overload distortion at peaks......

Still will be very hard to surpass Andrew Rose's Pristine XR remasters with ambient stereo for Callas.......
--
Yes, you may be right; but then Andrew Rose's Pristine XR remasters don't have that 136 page book of Callas' epistolary correspondence and photographic rarities, either.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
--
Yes, you may be right; but then Andrew Rose's Pristine XR remasters don't have that 136 page book of Callas' epistolary correspondence and photographic rarities, either.
And original artwork and a reasonable price.

·
Registered
19,867 Posts
This set of recordings was originally released in cheap, no-frills packaging a few years ago (with librettos on CD-ROM, like the new edition) and I got it for about a dollar a disc. If you're not a Callas fanatic (you poor benighted soul) and can live without all the gorgeous graphics and essays and whatever, that earlier issue is still obtainable used.

http://www.amazon.com/Maria-Callas-...033343&sr=1-2&keywords=callas+complete+studio

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
9,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Marschallin Blair
--

Itullian: And original artwork and a reasonable price.
Her Grace does look magnificent, doesn't she?

Reactions: Tsaraslondon

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have to wait till October for this. :(

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wonder if they'll do a complete live recording edition ?

·
Banned
9,315 Posts
That would be my dream, certainly. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Even with a dramatic genius like Callas, there's a kind of studied graciousness to her studio recordings; whereas the live performances are heavy-voltage juggernauts.

For me, live vintage Callas is opera at absolute Aristotelian best; that is to say; "as is should and ought to be."

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
That link to Presto UK above indicates that in new remastered boxset not only do we get all EMI studio recordings plus the few earlier Cetra lablel recordings, also included 13 remastered recital CDs......so for many reasons even owners of previous boxsets will "have" to buy this as well

The extremely cheap membran label collection below mixes studio and key live recordings using very nice folded digipaks with unique photos on each........you need this as well only $67 at Amazon USA with prime shipping!

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That link to Presto UK above indicates that in new remastered boxset not only do we get all EMI studio recordings plus the few earlier Cetra lablel recordings, also included 13 remastered recital CDs......so for many reasons even owners of previous boxsets will "have" to buy this as well

The extremely cheap membran label collection below mixes studio and key live recordings using very nice folded digipaks with unique photos on each........you need this as well only $67 at Amazon USA with prime shipping!

Yes, its supposed to be ALL the studio recordings.

I always wondered about the quality of that red box.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
The June 18, 2014 article on the Presto Classical web site states: "If you want to hear these remasterings in their full glory - in full 24-bit/96kHz sound - you'll also be able to buy those here at Presto Classical too, as our high-resolution offer is now just days away from launch."

I can't find a corresponding product (i.e., 24-bit/96kHz format) for sale on the Presto web site. Amazon (USA) lists only the Audio CDs (i.e., Red Book). Can anyone shed any light on the high-res recordings? Will they be on Blu-ray audio disks?

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe the cds are 24bit.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I believe the cds are 24bit.
I'm not a recording engineer. With that said, my understanding is that traditional Audio CDs (i.e., meeting the Red Book standard) are 16bit/44.1 kHz. Therefore the 24bit/96kHz recordings that Preston says they will offer will have to be in a format other than CD, e.g., FLAC download (which I have experience using), or possibly Blu-ray audio disk (which I haven't used). They could also offer SACDs, which employ a fundamentally different encoding scheme (i.e., "single bit").

1 - 20 of 5367 Posts