Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
^ I have most of the recordings except for the Paris concert. It is available as mp3 download but the sound quality is very bad. If the sound of Paris concert in that set is good, I am interested in getting it.

I just found this new release. (8/16/2019)
Miles Davis: The Lost Recording (Sleepy Night Records)

Recorded on 11th May 1969 in Rotterdam. I think this has not been released before.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Tortkis, I'll report back here after I've listened to the set. I'm still waiting for it too arrive. For years I wanted the Miles w/ Coltrane/Stitt Stockholm 4 disc set which I never did purchase, so I hope I'm happy with this Bootleg Series edition.
Thank you. I have 3 sets of the same Stockholm recording: the single disc version (DIW), 4-disc set including the concerts with Stitt, and another 4-disc set All of You including only the concerts with Coltrane. That's the reason I hesitate to get the Bootleg set, but I really love the 1960 group with Coltrane.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I found it at Presto Jazz.
https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/8625169--miles-davis-the-lost-quintet
Label: Sleepy Night Records
Catalogue No: SNRCD013

Miles and his Quintet were on their 1969 European tour, promoting the 'Bitches Brew' album.

Recorded on 11th May 1969 in Rotterdam, the recordings were lost for years and now available brilliantly remastered as a CD.

The title seems to be Miles Davis The Lost Quintet. The label page does not contain any info.
https://www.sleepynight-shop.com/product/coming-soon-miles-davis-the-lost-quintet

Actually, I cannot find a record of the quintet's Europe tour in May 1969. I am not sure if that recording date or the location is accurate. It's better to confirm before purchasing.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm groovin' to the Miles & Coltrane Paris Concert 1960 from the Sony Bootleg Series Vol 6. It sounds pretty darn good! There is a touch of distortion on some of the louder trumpet phrases, but it's not a major issue. I'm sure it's better than that MP3 Tortkis heard. Whether or not one is a fan of Coltrane's mercurial solos on this tour is another matter. To my ears it's not some of his better playing, and I enjoy it more when he's not soloing. The set comes with a very classy booklet containing some great photos I've not seen before. For 20 dollars it's a great set!
I listened to the bootleg series vol. 6. Yes, the sound of the Paris concert (March 21, 1960) is very good. The bass sound is clearly captured and I was impressed with Chambers's performance. The Copenhagen concert recording (March 24, 1960) sounds much better than "All of You: The Last Tour, 1960". Miles Davis's playing is very good in these concerts - precise, restrained yet strong. These tour albums and the 1961 Village Vanguard are my favorite Coltrane recordings. I listened to the Stockholm recording many times but it still sounds quite thrilling.

I've been listening to some bootlegs recently. The recording sounds of these albums are relatively good.

Shinjuku Kosei Nenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan, June 19th, 1973

Powerful and intense. Superb.

Live at the Hollywood Bowl, September 25, 1981

Miles's trumpet was still unstable and Evans (sax) is not so interesting to me, but I love the 1981 band very much. It is jazzier and there are some loose, spontaneous and pleasant moods.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
So either we are going to get a cd of the Philly gig (correct date) or the Rotterdam gig (wrong date!). I'll sample it when it gets released and hear if it sounds the same as the Rotterdam cd I have. The timings might give it away but hearing is believing.
According to a comment by Tracy Parsons on this youtube clip, it is the Rotterdam concert in November 11, 1969.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts